Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from an older gentlemen the other day. Apparently he got my number from a past client who I did a lot of work for.
Anyhow, he wants two rooms of crown done. I set up a meeting, and take a look.
First room is 12x12, with 6 corners,5 inside one out.
Second room is 20x12 4 inside corners.
Both 10' ceilings, and an off white carpet through the whole house.
He will move furniture.
He tells me he already has the crown, and put one coat of paint on already.
We go out to the garage, and he has 3 1/2 crown, longest length-16'.
I tell him we will have to put a joint in the big room, he understands, and expected it.

him: "ok, how much " he asks.
me :$500.00
him:"ARE YOU CRAZY!"
me: no, are you?
him: " well you're way off base with that price, I will have to find someone who is hungry" (dontcha love this comment)
me: good luck

That, find someone who is hungry statement has popped up more than a few times this year, and it really bugs the crap out of me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That guy is crazy. I surely knows the quality of work you do, and the price you charge for that quality. Another example of someone wanting something for nothing. Good luck to him. Find someone who's "hungry" and will do a hack job for $80, then maybe he'll realize that you get what you pay for.

That sucks, man.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
He may be crazy but if you need the work, then maybe you need to communicate the benefits of hiring you.

The number of years of experience you have doing this work.
Your guarantee.
Your attention to detail.
You license, insurance, etc.
Your promise of how great it will look when you are finished.
Your many past satisfied customers.

Taking the time to communicate the qualities you offer may have turned him around. That is of course if you wanted the work.

I have had more and more prospective customers trying to negotiate on price over the past year. When that happens I try to address the qualities that we offer. If price is still the objection, I try to see if the scope of work can be reduced to reduce the price.

With everything that has happened with the banking and mortgage industry, real estate down-turn, unemployment and over all economy. It is no wonder that people are looking at their spending.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
You could b ethe NARI remodeler of the year have 30,000 references this guy only cares about himself and how he can manipulate the bad times we contactors are having,

i would tell him:

GO F&CK YOUR SELF SIR

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You could b ethe NARI remodeler of the year have 30,000 references this guy only cares about himself and how he can manipulate the bad times we contactors are having,

i would tell him:

GO F&CK YOUR SELF SIR

As long as you use the salutation "SIR" you are acting in a professional manner.:laughing:

It will all be over soon,and the lowball wanting HO's will be scurrying to get their projects redone professionally!
I'm seeing some scary stuff being done right now,and like in the last recession,it'll turn into more work for those that will not compromise their quality or pricing.
It takes a lot of b*lls to say you want someone who is "hungry",but they will be the ones starving for someone to walk into someone elses FU and make it right ,but with the added costs.

Unfortunately it was a refered client,but the shame is on him for trying to belittle an recommendation for the quality he was hoping to gain from a referral.
As much as I hate to lose a referred client,this one is in a class all his own.
Ask these potential clients if they are willing to take a 80% cut in pay and remain at their jobs?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You should screw with people's minds when they say stuff like

well you're way off base with that price, I will have to find someone who is hungry"
Just turn it around a little bit with something like :

You know in our society that is looked down upon.

What do you mean?

Well, lets just look at it the other way around for a second. Lets say a big storm hits an area and there are lots of customers with roofs ripped off and I just happen to have a large supply of roof tarps in my warehous and I drive to your neighborhood and because you are "hungry" for a roof tarp I decide to jack up my price 1000%.

Is that right? Just cause you're 'hungry', I take advantage of your plight?

Further go on to explain to him you have relatives who were 'hungry' during WWII. Explain they were Jewish and when the Nazis were pressuring others to point out who the Jews were, their neighbors decided to take advantage of your relatives 'hunger' they blackmailed them for everything they had that was worth a penny to not point them out.

Just taking advantage of somebodies hunger.

Put a little perspective on the jack ass.

·
Pro
583 Posts
You should screw with people's minds when they say stuff like

Just turn it around a little bit with something like :

You know in our society that is looked down upon.

What do you mean?

Well, lets just look at it the other way around for a second. Lets say a big storm hits an area and there are lots of customers with roofs ripped off and I just happen to have a large supply of roof tarps in my warehous and I drive to your neighborhood and because you are "hungry" for a roof tarp I decide to jack up my price 1000%.

Is that right? Just cause you're 'hungry', I take advantage of your plight?

Further go on to explain to him you have relatives who were 'hungry' during WWII. Explain they were Jewish and when the Nazis were pressuring others to point out who the Jews were, their neighbors decided to take advantage of your relatives 'hunger' they blackmailed them for everything they had that was worth a penny to not point them out.

Just taking advantage of somebodies hunger.

Put a little perspective on the jack ass.
Thanks Mike,

Very nicely put. I may have to use something along those lines the next time I run into this.

Bill

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's pretty obvious he is all about saving a penny. He already has the molding and has painted it himself.
Now if he could just figure out how to cope the corners he would be all set.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fact is I am not hungry. I have about 3 months of worked signed. I went to meet this guy, more as a favor for my past client.

The whole "finding someone who is hungry" crap really irritates the piss out of me.
The next person who says it, is going to get a :censored: education.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Last one said "Well everybodys hungry right now, should be a good time to get it done",.......

I submitted my bid,

He calls back, leaves message "well I am confused, your more than half what my next bid was, and more than my 3 time the low bid",...

I e-mailed him back and explained, if he needed help comparing "Apples to Lemons" I would gladly sit down with him, and go over it,...

No responce, imagine that,...

As much as I hate to admit it, he got the F-U bid just because of his statement, at initial consultation,...

These type never understand, that you get what you pay for,...

And never will,...

They are out there big time, soo just be on the look out. :eek:

I originally thought he qualified as one of my customers, was I ever wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts