Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been a bit. But, I'm back with questions.

I just finished up a Basement finish that took 7 months to complete. I did the electrical which took me about 2 weeks. The reason it took so long, is every time I would finish with one section of the basement, i was waiting on the GC to finish framing another part of the job.....

Anyway, 7 months later, the job is done and I am requesting payment, the GC is back charging me my total bill. Saying I owe him for clean up, drywall repairs (after electrical boxes were covered up) 3 failed inspections ( 2 due to him trying to do some of the work without my knowledge.) etc.......

I don't get it. I didn't sign his contract.

Homeowner is a friend of mine.... now I have to file a lien:furious:

Ugh......

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
JOB sounds like it was a cluster fu##, GC sounds like a hack, tell you friends what is going on, see if they paid him in full. GMOD

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
3 failed inspections ( 2 due to him trying to do some of the work without my knowledge.) etc.......
That part sounds weird, did you have a contract? If it was myself doing this, I would write out what tasks would be accomplished in my proposal, have him sign it, then get to work and do it. If he wanted to charge me for mistakes that he made, I would say "well, I did what we agreed on in my proposal, the things you did wasn't in it".

It sounds like there was a miscommunication in the scope of work.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think you will win this one--IF THE GC HAS ANY MONEY-------------

I've built entire houses in less than 6 months---How can he have made money dragging out a basement for 7 months?
Framing -soffits-blocking-3 to 5 days--Double that for a novice??

This sounds like some one proud of mediocrity.-----------GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE--------MIKE---

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the home owner is a friend of yours, have you talked to them?

If I hired someone to finish my basement and they took seven months I would not be happy either. If you were not the problem on the project, the HO may be willing to pay you directly for your work. Of course the GC will never hire you again but he sounds like someone you don't really want to work for any way.

I don't think I have ever had my electrician fail an inspection let alone three of them on one project. Don't you review everything that is going to be inspected before you let an inspector look at it? It does not instill confidence in a HO if a job keeps failing inspection. I assume you were saying it was electrical work failing inspection, am I wrong?

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Now there is a concept that has never occurred to me...doing the electrical work before the framing is completed. That's a new one. Who's idea was that?

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I think I would have maybe nipped this one at the beginning when you started wiring before the framing was done. Maybe you should have stopped and told the GC to call you once he was done all the framing

·
Registered
190 Posts
Back-charge his back-charges, add a 50% late fee plus interest, add change orders... now he owes you what he made...

Seriously, when these problems where first discovered did he give you a chance to correct them, if not then I would go to war with him...

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Do you guys seriously back-charge your subs? Backcharging seems to me to be a cop out for not communicating with people.

I "know" all of my subs and if I tried to backcharge them, they'd laugh first and then be offended. I wouldn't even think of back charging a sub unless he seriously screwed up or did something so dumb that it would prevent me from ever wanting to use them again.

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Do you guys seriously back-charge your subs? Backcharging seems to me to be a cop out for not communicating with people.

I "know" all of my subs and if I tried to backcharge them, they'd laugh first and then be offended. I wouldn't even think of back charging a sub unless he seriously screwed up or did something so dumb that it would prevent me from ever wanting to use them again.
I agree with this whole heartedly. I have only been backcharged twice in almost 20 years. I no longer do business with those 2 contractors. Largely in part because of this. Communication is the key. A simple phone call goes a long way. I always respond to my phone messages and have a policy of Taking care of any screwups or forgotten items within 24 hours.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

It's not that uncommon, it seems to me backcharges happen more often with electricians or mechanical guys when they make a mistake then drywall has to be torn off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Charge him labor to uncover your boxes. Charge him a trip charge for all the times you had to come back because the framing wasn't done. Charge him for having to fix the electrical that he re-worked.

Make sure all of your extra charges add up to the same amount he is back-charging you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was a very frustrating job. I had a few screw ups on the job... .no job goes perfect.

I have a really tough time excepting any of these charges. There was a point in the rough in stage that I actually heard him talking to the HO and saying that I was the one thing holding up the job:eek::eek:. The was before the framing, plumbing of mechanical was even started.......

At this point, I'm very seriously considering revising my invoice and and back charging him for trip charges, finding buried boxes etc... THis is ridiculous someone would behave this way.

It seems like every once in a while I get these jobs that I have a bad gut feeling about... I think I should listen to my gut more..

The best part is that I called the HO today, told him what was going on and he decided not to pay the GC till we figure out what/why the back charges...

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Well, its been a bit. But, I'm back with questions.

I just finished up a Basement finish that took 7 months to complete. I did the electrical which took me about 2 weeks. The reason it took so long, is every time I would finish with one section of the basement, i was waiting on the GC to finish framing another part of the job.....

Anyway, 7 months later, the job is done and I am requesting payment, the GC is back charging me my total bill. Saying I owe him for clean up, drywall repairs (after electrical boxes were covered up) 3 failed inspections ( 2 due to him trying to do some of the work without my knowledge.) etc.......

I don't get it. I didn't sign his contract.

Homeowner is a friend of mine.... now I have to file a lien:furious:

Ugh......
I don't know.

Even your excuses don't sound correct with this one. You mean, him doing some electrical work without your knowledge? How does this happen and get out of hand without your input? Why would you wait on a slow gc., -unless gc is not getting regular draws and was dragging his feet because you owe him cash?

Did you guys even speak to each other during the project? I don't know. 7 months is a long time. When things take this long money gets spent and disappears by the end of a project, unless there was regularly scheduled draw payments at the beginning, middle, and towards the end of the project.

Otherwise, no one should double charge anyone unless this is discussed. Did you get a "heads up" on these charges?

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
What do you guys think, should I revise my invoice and include all back charges?
Heck no! Charge the H/O backcharges?

If you do, consider your friendship with the H/O to non-exist.

1. YOU gotta eat the backcharges, or
2. refuse to pay gc backcharges, or
3. Come to a compromise with the gc, and pay some of his charges.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL I got no heads up on these charges. After final inspection. I waited 2 weeks because he said he had loose ends to finish up before he got his last payment.

After 4 weeks he sends me his faulty backcharges.

THe job was just weird, he wanted all the outlets in before paint was done (no this is a red flag, then it wasn't), he would say i'll put on all the cover plates doesn't worrry about it. THen he calls for an inspection, cover plates aren't on... Gues what happens?! It fails.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
What do you guys think, should I revise my invoice and include all back charges?
include them in your invoice to the GC to equal his backcharges. If the customer wants to pay you directly, instead of through the GC, then remove the extra charges.

I'd talk to the HO anyway if the GC was using you as a scapegoat for everything.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts