Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
No i'm not saying that. However at $150.00 hr x 8hrs x 5 days a week translates to $6000 a week.
And how is he getting that 8 hours in if he's only there for 2.5 hours,He's got to travel to the next job and set it up do it,then travel to the next one.

For a Journeymen Plumber working for a plumbing firm doing service calls 2.5 hours each,when you take into account the travel and set up and breakdown that's 2 calls per day unless you want to pay him overtime @ 45 an hour the average journeymen Plumber gets before benefits,add about $20 an hour for benefits and taxes.You can see how fast that $150 per hour gets eaten up leaving the owner not much to play with You will definitely not want to pay them overtime .

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
The first 10 dishwashers I installed took me about 3 hours. Total.

A talented plumber who is also really good at communication and the business side of things can make $200k a year. There aren't that many of those around.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
I need to raise my fees. I install 8-10 DW per year. $110, does not include supply line. Drain is included with the new dw , rarely change the air gap and reuse the existing electrical. Takes me 45 min if some ahole did not install laminate or tile in front. I deliver the new one and place the old one in front of my house, gone within 24 hrs thanks to the scrapers combing the hood.

I think $150 is reasonable. But 2 hours your milking it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If plumbers are so overpaid, and the job is so easy, why don't more people just become plumbers?

These discussions are really pointless. The old adage of "whatever the market will bear" is the law of the land folks.
Because it's fun to complain and the grass is always greener.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
A permit for changing out appliances lol. Stupidity at its finest right there. What next a permit to change the locks out on your front door or to clean your windows.
Permits are required for changing appliances here. Same for swapping a faucet or replacing a receptacle. Anything that is covered by building code requires a permit including fences.

I bet most minor repairs and replacements don't have permits.

One of our mechanical inspectors lives in a subdivision in which I built most of the homes, not his though. He, the inspector, got a red tag for building a porch roof without a permit.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Permits are required for changing appliances here. Same for swapping a faucet or replacing a receptacle. Anything that is covered by building code requires a permit including fences.

One of our mechanical inspectors lives in a subdivision in which I built most of the homes, not his though. He, the inspector, got a red tag for building a porch roof without a permit.
The problem with this area is it makes no difference if a permit is pulled or not. The BI aint got a clue and sign off on the work even if its not to code. Yet they moan about stuff thats not in code. Its awful around here. Even the people who work in the permit office say they dont pull permits when they have work done on their own houses.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

I'm glad I live in the people's republic of Canada.:thumbsup:

Reactions: B.D.R.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
republic :laughing:

More like a commonwealth.
We don't pull permits for anything but new additions, replacements and repairs don't require permits. You can do anything in your own house without a licence, plumbing electrical etc. And we can sell guns privately.

Not Wyoming....but a far shot from California. :laughing:

61 - 80 of 105 Posts