Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talking to people working for others, I've ran across this a few times and I've not figured it out yet, but admittedly, not lost a lot of brain cells on it.

An employee from construction company X tells their employee to be at the shop at 6 am. They get there, yak with the boss as where to go that day, load up the company tools for what they need to do that day into the company truck, then leave to the jobsite--driving/riding in the company truck.

If the jobsite is within 45 minutes, they don't get paid for it as though they met a the shop at 6 am, they don't get paid until 6:45 am.

What's stated is they don't get paid for the first 45 minutes if the job is within 45 minutes of the shop.

Oh, and this is the same coming back from the jobsite to the shop.

So the way I figure it is this:
45 minutes morning, 45 minutes back = 1.5 hrs/day.
1.5 hrs/day x 5 days = 7.5 hrs (just short of one 8 hr day)

So, people working for these construction companies basically work 6 days per week, but only get paid for 5 days.

Anyone else heard of this?
Is this common?

And as a side note, if they are driving the company trucks, but are not "on the clock", and they get into an accident, who is liable? If they are not being paid, then they are not doing company work?

Reactions: Robie

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
I'd say it's pretty common for the small pinch-a-penny guys. I worked for a GC like that when I started.

As for driving a company vehicle, I think a case could be made that you were driving it on company business, even if you were just going home. If the company allows you to drive it home, they are condoning your use of their property and should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Just my observation. The clock should be punched starting at the time that they are required to be anywhere, and end when they are actually free to go elsewhere.

I pay for windshield time, but only between jobsites. They stay signed in from the time they show up to the time I release them for the day.

Driving a company truck doesn't enter in the the equation if the are required to be at the shop at 6 am and load up tools, etc. They clock in at 6 am regardless of who provides the vehicle.

My $0,000,000.02;)

·
Super Moderator
24,291 Posts
If I told you to be some where at a specific time that is when the clock starts. Shooting the chit & drinking coffee can be some VERY beneficial face time with your crew.

Penny pinching has never proven profitable for me.

Don't trip on dollars while picking up pennies....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
I've heard of it, but I haven't seen it first hand. The closest I know of is someone who hires guys with no drivers license for paint crews. The lead is on salary, and he picks everyone up. Clock starts when they get to the work site.

·
Super Moderator
24,291 Posts
I've heard of it, but I haven't seen it first hand. The closest I know of is someone who hires guys with no drivers license for paint crews. The lead is on salary, and he picks everyone up. Clock starts when they get to the work site.
and the words most often heard are....

Es tiempo para trabajar.....

No trabajo....no dinero...

Vamos....rapido.....

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
LOL, even in Massachusetts that would be true, but around here it'd just be eff this and eff that.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say it's pretty common for the small pinch-a-penny guys.
Neither of these companies I know of that does it are small and both have company vehicles and run multiple crews. But you are right about them being cheap. The tools they have are long ago worn out. Osha would have a field day with them.

I feel sorry for the guys that are good/hard working that work for them--hopefully they'll just work long enough so they can leave. The other part of their crews, are like stated here, dregs of various sorts and/or illegals.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
Does it not depend on how much they get paid? I charge one way travel. If the customer does not want to pay that I charge a higher rate.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it "stealing" but I would have to say that sometimes employees who are willing and able to put up with technical "abuses" just accept it as conditions of the job.

On the flip side of that it wouldn't surprise me if there are other minor perks along the way like if they can take an extra long lunch if they want to or they are free to step out during the day to do whatever they want/need to do provided that a certain amount of production takes place.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't exactly call it "stealing" but I would have to say that sometimes employees who are willing and able to put up with technical "abuses" just accept it as conditions of the job.
:thumbsup: Those guys have some skills, but they're being paid laborers wages (I talked with them today). I told them as much and they should move on to a better paying gig, but they didn't seem open to moving on.

I dunno....probably the market at work, which is not only a good thing, but a smarter and more accurate thing than any govt dictatorial board/commission/ministry/department/etc.

And they don't recoup it as their half hour lunch is unpaid, but their two fifteen minute breaks never happen.

I give people their dime's worth, so I guess I just don't like it when others with hold three cents of every dime someone expects to be paid.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
I know contractors that pay their guys dirt, and their crews wouldn't work for someone else. There's more to work than a dollar.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,652 Posts
I understand that Labor Unions are not well received on this forum, however, that was one thing I really enjoyed, when I was in the IBEW. Everything was spelled out. If you showed up at the shop, clock started then, period. If a project lasted 3 days or longer, the owner could require you to report directly to the jobsite, but only within a certain mile radius of the shop. I think it was 50. If it was farther than 50 miles, they had to pay per dium.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,369 Posts
This is a different situation where they're basically getting a free ride to work rather then the OP of having to meet at the shop, B.S. and then drive to the job. Back in the framing days we were expected to show up at the job site at 7:00am and that's when the payday started, ending at 3:30pm with no pay for travel unless it was a long trip.

If someone came by to give me a ride I wouldn't have expected to be paid for getting a ride to work.

·
Registered
38 Posts

On the flip side of that it wouldn't surprise me if there are other minor perks along the way like if they can take an extra long lunch if they want to or they are free to step out during the day to do whatever they want/need to do provided that a certain amount of production takes place.
First thing is that if the employer is the type who does not want to pay for loading up tools and other tasks required, then he will not be the guy who offers minor perks Along the way.
Second, no one should have to put up with abuses as a condition of having the privilege of working for someone else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts