Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I will be closing on my first home next week. Up here in the Boston area prices are pretty high and my wife and I were lucky to find a cape with an unfished second floor in a nice neighborhood. Currently the house is one bedroom and 780 square feet, but loads of potential both by finishing the second floor and the basement.
I grew up helping my father work on our house including building a deck and a shed, re-shingling the garage and screen porch, remodeling a bathroom and most recently wiring his house so that there would be a cable/phone/internet outlet in all the bedrooms.
The house I am buying has a few things that need to be done right away and are outside the DIY world. First, thing we will be getting a new boiler/hot water heater and converting from oil to natural gas. Second, I want to upgrade the electrical from fuses to circuit breakers and have some additional outlets run to the upstairs (before we get around to finishing it).
However, after that I would like to do as much as possible on my own, but how do I find out what I can do myself and what I am required by law to have a professional (electrician, plumber, etc.) work on?
Our first project will be redoing the bathroom: adding a vent and more lighting and upgrading to GFI outlets are the top priorities. Painting the walls and a new floor will come next.
I have been reading this board for about two weeks and have found it an invaluable source of information both on what can be done to my future home and what to ask a contractor when it comes time to hire them.
Hopefully everyone here won't mind a non-contractor hanging out in these forums.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
NewHomeOwner said:
how do I find out what I can do myself and what I am required by law to have a professional (electrician, plumber, etc.) work on?
Contact your building dept and ask them. They will tell you exactly what you can and can't do yourself. Every place in the country is different so there is no way for us to know for sure what you can and can't do. Being on the East coast you are going to find lots of red tape, especially if you are in a big city. Out in the sticks, they would let you build a sky scraper out of tampons if you wanted, as long as you just left the building inspector alone so he could go duck hunting.

NewHomeOwner said:
Our first project will be redoing the bathroom: adding a vent and more lighting and upgrading to GFI outlets are the top priorities.
You might want to have the new electrical service installed first, since most codes require you to upgrade the circuits in the bathroom if you start remodelling it. One code that sticks out is usually having to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit in a bathroom now, and there are also codes in regard to not using the same circuit for a bathroom and other parts of the house, which is certainly the case right now.

If if was me I would upgrade the electric first thing. Have the new service installed even if you don't have anything going to it yet. Then once you start remodelling, you can tear out the old wires and run new wires right to the new service panel. :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Just in case there are any H/Os out there reading this, the DIY Chatroom was set up for homeowners, and this site is reserved for contractors and related fields only

This wasn't true 4 years ago when this thread was originally started

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ahhh! The good old days. Just a few of us getting bored with each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.