Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are “Illegal” Immigrants Squeezing The Home Renovation And Home Building Industry

34K views 338 replies 46 participants last post by  Jaws 
#1 ·
#4 ·
They seem to have flooded the Paint, landscaping and concrete trades in this area.
Electrical and plumbing too in this area.

I have recently begun to suggest to potential clients that they push for permits and gauge the reaction of the competing "contractors" when making a decision.

Of course a "contractor" that does not have the licensing, bonding, or insurance (aka can't get one) will try to handle these objections by saying the "The permit process will slow us down, or it's expensive, etc."

Both excuses obviously are also true, but at least it might slow these hacks down a bit.

How are others "politely" handling this situation during walk through's or estimates?

#5 ·
They have ruined the drywall trade.. No one really cares about the man that has real bills to pay. BUT..Try finding a 20 year old in this country willing to hang sheetrock :laughing: What really chaps me Is paying a man half of what he's worth no matter who or where he's from .Taking advantage of a man's hard labor just because you can seems very wrong to me. I could write a book on this topic ,,But it's best I don't..:whistling

#84 ·
I've been hanging (commercially mostly) since I was 20. Made good money so far doing it. If you're one of the best in your area, there's always a lot of money to be made, no matter what you're doing (drywall, framing, trim, etc). Being able to do more than everyone else, also can make yourself more efficient and competitive as far as pricing. Could it be more lucrative without "illegals", or just flat out morons hanging for $80 cash a day? Yes, but this is where we are at right now, so you have to adapt and overcome. I can say this, the illegals can't touch me in a commercial drywall atmosphere.

#6 ·
Wow this is a hot topic here in the u.s, north of the border and across the pond, Polish, Mexican, and other latin countries. $7.00 a hour goes along way in some of these places. Get 6, 7, may be more shareing a place, that 7 bucks goes a whole lot further back home. The crazy part have you seen some of the building in Mexico and else where?. We hire them here in the u.s. to build our homes!. Not for their skill , because they work hard and they work cheap!!!!!. And we all wan't some thing for nothing. So the answer to the question is yes,

#7 ·
blacktop said:
They have ruined the drywall trade.. No one really cares about the man that has real bills to pay. BUT..Try finding a 20 year old in this country willing to hang sheetrock :laughing: What really chaps me Is paying a man half of what he's worth no matter who or where he's from .Taking advantage of a man's hard labor just because you can seems very wrong to me. I could write a book on this topic ,,But it's best I don't..:whistling
Same in Australia but its Chinese but they have been pushing there rates up now there guys want $35 per hour like everyone else

#8 ·
It seems to me that a good part of the problem falls on the inspectors and anyone responsible for code enforcement. Everyone here can probably spot the trucks in front of the house (or station wagons if I recall a post that was on here recently) that might as well have "Fly-by-Night Construction" on the doors. The inspectors don't see that? They can't check and see that no permits have been pulled when they see a dumpster, trucks, and/or materials piled up at someone's house?

#9 ·
here in new jersey about 75% of all construction companies have illegals doing the work for them..

in my field tile setting you rarely see a american like my self doing the work

the trades are getting destroyed by these illegals!

its gonna come to a head soon

#12 ·
I feel like a lot of guy/crews who are legal citizens but are Mexican or tagged as "aliens" from some other place have to work twice as hard with all the racist inspectors, customers, and other tradesmen. Take up your grief with the contractors who are adding to their margins with cheap labor. There are tons of "legals" that I've seen working for peanuts and disqualifying anyone who charges a fair rate for their labor.

#15 ·
Depends when we're talking about. Before a certain time there was no such thing as an "illegal" immigrant. You could just come right over. Eventually you had to be sponsored. That certainly didn't describe my family. They just kind of... blended in?
Only post 1920ish were there quotas. All of my Italian and Scottish ancestors had already sneaked in by that point.

#14 ·
Not here on CT, All the contractors are honest and deal with only certified crews and pay premium wage for work.
Yeah, right, sure, maybe on sundays.
My father tells me stories when him and his brothers migrated to the states back in the '50's.
Basically its the same deal as now, I see them as the "Mexicans " of the day.
They took over the residential in detroit. Worked his ass off to feed us, We were in many.
Tells of stories of the Union bricklayers picketing on the sub, of the tools stolen at night and the damage done to their work.
He became one of the biggest masons of the area. Over 120 employees.

So, stop your whining.

Ya lazy ass hypocrites.

Our work is hard, in all aspects, It always has been.

I did an Orfanage in Romania for the Sisters Of Grace. I had to use their laborers. these guys were making 200 dollars a month. There were lines for mile outside the jobsite from people looking for work.

Then they came into Europe, And prices dropped.

or conform, or perish.

Go cry to your mama if you think its unfair

#18 ·
Unless you live here, STFU. I cannot stand people in other countries telling me or anyone else how we should feel about what is going on here.

I also cannot stand comparing two completely different things as if they are the same. Unless your father came here illegally, and built his business illegally and not up to code, then it is not the same thing. It is n't even in the same ball park. And if you think it is, you really are a whole lot dumber than I thought.

They drain our tax base being paid under the table and suck up our medical resources. Then they fly Mexico flags and march on OUR streets telling us how great Mexico is and are proud to be Mexican while saying we have to grant them citizenship even though they are here ILLEGALLY. They are criminals, every single one of them, and they should be shipped right back to where they came. We should adopt Mexico's immigration policy.

Come here legally and I am all for it! That IS how we built this country. Come here illegally you can go fly a kite. I have no sympathy for you or your family and what comes of your illegal act. We also need to change the born here laws, which were never meant to used as they are today.

#20 ·
You should take some history classes.
I've am an American, as my kids are. and being an American i have the right to choose where I work, live and play.

I own a lot of property, commercial and residential, pay taxes, many taxes, I even have Mexicans look after my landscaping:)
I reread your last post, You pig, I think people like you are the destruction of the work force.
making a buck off of someone elses hard work.

I do what I gotta do and I don't complain, stop your whining,

Reactions: parkers5150
#25 ·
Seems that I know more about our history than you. Maybe you can show me where I am wrong.

You and Jaws need to really stop and read my post. I never said that you were not a citizen of America. What I said was LIVING in this country.

I don't care what taxes you pay. You don't live here. When you do, I may consider your opinion as viable.

What does it matter who you hire to mow you lawn? What does that prove. Personally, I don't care what the color of someone's skin is as long as they are here legally and do work the work legally.

I am a pig? Coming from you, that is a compliment.

I only make money off of my back. No one else's. I also don't come on here and have to brag how great I am. I was always taught that if a man has to brag about what he is, it means that he usually isn't. My work speaks for itself.

#23 · (Edited)
I am as American as they come, bro. I have lived abroad, my brother was born in Europe. He is as American as I am.

If I moved to Venezuela to build some oil compounds, am I not an American? Do I lose my American privileges? I think not.

#31 ·
Never said that. You really gotta stop putting words into my mouth. I just said that unless he LIVES here he doesn't have a right to speak up and tell people to stop whining. He doesn't have to deal with it, so what does his opinion matter? To me, nothing.

I was born in Texas. I haven't lived there in 20+ years. Even though I still have family there and get updates on what goes on there, I really have no right to act like I know what it is to deal with whatever it is going on there. And to think that I could is truly ignorant.
I see your point, but you aren't a citizen of Texas. We lost the republic :laughing:

#24 ·
Keep the conversation civil, or yall will have some time to think about. No insults.

This is a relative conversation, no reason it should be trashed, dont push it.

#26 ·
I got edited, darn

I dont insult, I just wanna have some fun

legal, or illegal,whatever term makes you sleep good at night, Have always been hammered on for the downfall of construction, bul****

years back they used terms, Union or non Union.

#34 ·
It's pretty simple. Legal means that you didn't BREAK the law.

And Union is still a valid reason, just look at any industry dominated by it. Guess where those jobs are going. I bet Detroit would love to get that one back.

#45 ·
They wanna send me to Cali, I WILL be bringing many(3) legals setters of mosiacs and we will run the market into the ground

When I did my 4 yrs US army infantry service, I was tought.

FUK WITH THE BEST; DIE LIKE THE REST

You's really don't want us coming their,
Because I will sponser EVERYONE I KNOW.

We'll give the mexicans a run for the money

#50 ·
I dont think anyone can fault a guy for trying to better his life or his families life.

The way i see it, it is a lifestyle difference. And i think many in the construction field who have somewhat been comfortable doing their trade are going to see their standard of living drop eventually because of it. When one guy is out to make enough to make payments on his small home, feed his family, maybe send kids to daycare or something, have more than just their work vehicle...and the other guy is living with 4 of his family members as well as their spouse and kids all 8 of them working, splitting bills and everything, having one old junker van or something, and they are able to do work for next to nothing as well as willing to work for next to nothing. And since many homeowners could not care less, only caring about the bottom line...i believe guy 2 is in the end going to be bringing the rest down to their level. Especially money being like it is right now.( you can market yourself to [X] clientele but id say the majority of people in this country fall in the budget conscious category [Y].)

Now from a personal/work/political/whatever perspective, I dont necessarily have a problem with any of that, as i believe competition is always good...breeds innovation as well as bringing price down for the consumer for the most part. So i guess id say it is what it is and if you cant compete then maybe you should look into moving.

#51 ·
Competition is great, but when someone cheats (not getting insurance, w/c, licensing, bonding, permits, doesn't pay taxes...), it is not a game any longer.

And I luckily my client's number one concern isn't $$$. You land the fish you bait your hook for.

#54 · (Edited)
I am back n forth between the states and the rest of the world for my work.
I pay over 70k a year i federal, state and local taxes.
And buddy, that gives me EVERY right to have an opinion and state it.
You youngin's have no respect, wait, any Idea what so ever on how things work.
All ya do is ***** n moan, then get on our backs because you want to make a lot of money doing so little.

and to JAWS, believe me, I've made the money, I gotta sell some of the stuff I have, but its not the market. Done went and bought 15000 m2 in Romania for some god awful reason. this summer.
Not i own properties in 4 countries, and pay the respected taxes

This ain't a perfect world, adapt or die, either way, I could give a fuuk.

#56 ·
All you do is ***** and moan about others bitching and moaning.

And there you go bragging again. Some how you seem to think that it impresses us or makes you more legit.

And buddy, this sure is a funny way of showing everyone you don't give a fvck.

It's kinda sad that you have to tell everyone how much you do and own to feel validation.

#55 ·
YES - To answer the question

However, it is not the illegal themselves, but our government, and the predominant social medias' liberal ideologies that have perpetuating and brought us to this state of affairs.

The general populace has & continues to be duped - Wages have stagnated, even declined, over the past couple of decades. Big business, (i.e., national home builders, for example), utilize both sides of the political fence to their advantage. On one hand crying conservative "less government", so as to minimize regulations, and on the other hand, portray tolerance/empathize - offering "opportunity" to the down-trodden. All the while profiting more than ever.

I could go on & on.....

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

#59 ·
I think if people don't follow laws and it gives them a competitive advantage, it hurts everyone else - nationality isn't important in this. I'm not sure Jaws has seen this, but Madrina definitely has, being in Dallas. You'll have workers sleeping 4-8 to a bedroom (leases state who actually can live there, so they're violating the lease). That just by its self gives a cost advantage. It causes all kinds of problems for the neighbors with people coming and going, and no on-street parking left, etc. One legit way the same workers will save money is buy food in bulk (like 50lb bags), and cook for the whole house. The poor landlords wind up with a big mess to clean up.

Periodically, we'll get some exposure to the Massachusetts problems. Guys with no drivers licenses will drive up in their work van which is unregistered and uninsured to do some illegal fishing - free food. I don't imagine their business is bonded or insured either.

#60 ·
Im very familiar with how contractors run illegals. I saw it a lot in commercial.

Like I said, im very much in favor of prosecution of contractors who run illegals. My point is all immigrants are not illegal.

A lot of guys on this site over the years say mexicans like its a negative connotation, that shows the level of intelligence of a lot of guys competing in this industry in my opinion. They see a Hispanic guy doing concrete and think he is illegal and under paid.

Dont move to Texas, is all I can say. Ive got a lot of cousins and friends that look like they are right out Durango who cant speak Spanish as well as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.