Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
No doubt they are. the big problem in this area is contractors who use them. They can put 4 guys on a job for less than i can put my self on a job. They may not put out the quality im putting out but a lot of HO dont care. They seem to have flooded the Paint, landscaping and concrete trades in this area.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
They seem to have flooded the Paint, landscaping and concrete trades in this area.
Electrical and plumbing too in this area.

I have recently begun to suggest to potential clients that they push for permits and gauge the reaction of the competing "contractors" when making a decision.

Of course a "contractor" that does not have the licensing, bonding, or insurance (aka can't get one) will try to handle these objections by saying the "The permit process will slow us down, or it's expensive, etc."

Both excuses obviously are also true, but at least it might slow these hacks down a bit.

How are others "politely" handling this situation during walk through's or estimates?

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
They have ruined the drywall trade.. No one really cares about the man that has real bills to pay. BUT..Try finding a 20 year old in this country willing to hang sheetrock :laughing: What really chaps me Is paying a man half of what he's worth no matter who or where he's from .Taking advantage of a man's hard labor just because you can seems very wrong to me. I could write a book on this topic ,,But it's best I don't..:whistling

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Wow this is a hot topic here in the u.s, north of the border and across the pond, Polish, Mexican, and other latin countries. $7.00 a hour goes along way in some of these places. Get 6, 7, may be more shareing a place, that 7 bucks goes a whole lot further back home. The crazy part have you seen some of the building in Mexico and else where?. We hire them here in the u.s. to build our homes!. Not for their skill , because they work hard and they work cheap!!!!!. And we all wan't some thing for nothing. So the answer to the question is yes,

·
Registered
232 Posts
blacktop said:
They have ruined the drywall trade.. No one really cares about the man that has real bills to pay. BUT..Try finding a 20 year old in this country willing to hang sheetrock :laughing: What really chaps me Is paying a man half of what he's worth no matter who or where he's from .Taking advantage of a man's hard labor just because you can seems very wrong to me. I could write a book on this topic ,,But it's best I don't..:whistling
Same in Australia but its Chinese but they have been pushing there rates up now there guys want $35 per hour like everyone else

·
Registered
155 Posts
It seems to me that a good part of the problem falls on the inspectors and anyone responsible for code enforcement. Everyone here can probably spot the trucks in front of the house (or station wagons if I recall a post that was on here recently) that might as well have "Fly-by-Night Construction" on the doors. The inspectors don't see that? They can't check and see that no permits have been pulled when they see a dumpster, trucks, and/or materials piled up at someone's house?

·
Pro
76 Posts
here in new jersey about 75% of all construction companies have illegals doing the work for them..

in my field tile setting you rarely see a american like my self doing the work

the trades are getting destroyed by these illegals!

its gonna come to a head soon

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
America was literally built by immigrants,

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I feel like a lot of guy/crews who are legal citizens but are Mexican or tagged as "aliens" from some other place have to work twice as hard with all the racist inspectors, customers, and other tradesmen. Take up your grief with the contractors who are adding to their margins with cheap labor. There are tons of "legals" that I've seen working for peanuts and disqualifying anyone who charges a fair rate for their labor.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Not here on CT, All the contractors are honest and deal with only certified crews and pay premium wage for work.
Yeah, right, sure, maybe on sundays.
My father tells me stories when him and his brothers migrated to the states back in the '50's.
Basically its the same deal as now, I see them as the "Mexicans " of the day.
They took over the residential in detroit. Worked his ass off to feed us, We were in many.
Tells of stories of the Union bricklayers picketing on the sub, of the tools stolen at night and the damage done to their work.
He became one of the biggest masons of the area. Over 120 employees.

So, stop your whining.

Ya lazy ass hypocrites.

Our work is hard, in all aspects, It always has been.

I did an Orfanage in Romania for the Sisters Of Grace. I had to use their laborers. these guys were making 200 dollars a month. There were lines for mile outside the jobsite from people looking for work.

Then they came into Europe, And prices dropped.

or conform, or perish.

Go cry to your mama if you think its unfair

·
Punching above his weight
10,777 Posts
Big difference between illegal and immigrant. BIG difference.
Depends when we're talking about. Before a certain time there was no such thing as an "illegal" immigrant. You could just come right over. Eventually you had to be sponsored. That certainly didn't describe my family. They just kind of... blended in?
Only post 1920ish were there quotas. All of my Italian and Scottish ancestors had already sneaked in by that point.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
Depends when we're talking about. Before a certain time there was no such thing as an "illegal" immigrant. You could just come right over. Eventually you had to be sponsored. That certainly didn't describe my family. They just kind of... blended in?
Only post 1920ish were there quotas. All of my Italian and Scottish ancestors had already sneaked in by that point.
When a dude is making 60 bucks a week making bricks and applies for and receives a green card and trys to better life for himself and his, I dont see how anyone can fault him for that.
Lots of ignorant racists running around comparing illegals to legals, and calling them "taco benders" and "*******" or "****" or whatever.

Im used to it, from the south. I have the same regard for those folks as I do any ignorant racist. Trash is trash. 100 years ago they wouldn't drink out of a fountain that a certain person drank from. Ignorant trash need someone to look down on, that will never stop. Is what it is, I guess.

Not saying this is you, Easy. Just saying I see a big difference between an illegal and a legal immigrant.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Not here on CT, All the contractors are honest and deal with only certified crews and pay premium wage for work.
Yeah, right, sure, maybe on sundays.
My father tells me stories when him and his brothers migrated to the states back in the '50's.
Basically its the same deal as now, I see them as the "Mexicans " of the day.
They took over the residential in detroit. Worked his ass off to feed us, We were in many.
Tells of stories of the Union bricklayers picketing on the sub, of the tools stolen at night and the damage done to their work.
He became one of the biggest masons of the area. Over 120 employees.

So, stop your whining.

Ya lazy ass hypocrites.

Our work is hard, in all aspects, It always has been.

I did an Orfanage in Romania for the Sisters Of Grace. I had to use their laborers. these guys were making 200 dollars a month. There were lines for mile outside the jobsite from people looking for work.

Then they came into Europe, And prices dropped.

or conform, or perish.

Go cry to your mama if you think its unfair
Unless you live here, STFU. I cannot stand people in other countries telling me or anyone else how we should feel about what is going on here.

I also cannot stand comparing two completely different things as if they are the same. Unless your father came here illegally, and built his business illegally and not up to code, then it is not the same thing. It is n't even in the same ball park. And if you think it is, you really are a whole lot dumber than I thought.

They drain our tax base being paid under the table and suck up our medical resources. Then they fly Mexico flags and march on OUR streets telling us how great Mexico is and are proud to be Mexican while saying we have to grant them citizenship even though they are here ILLEGALLY. They are criminals, every single one of them, and they should be shipped right back to where they came. We should adopt Mexico's immigration policy.

Come here legally and I am all for it! That IS how we built this country. Come here illegally you can go fly a kite. I have no sympathy for you or your family and what comes of your illegal act. We also need to change the born here laws, which were never meant to used as they are today.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
Unless you live here, STFU. I cannot stand people in other countries telling me or anyone else how we should feel about what is going on here.

I also cannot stand comparing two completely different things as if they are the same. Unless your father came here illegally, and built his business illegally and not up to code, then it is not the same thing. It is n't even in the same ball park. And if you think it is, you really are a whole lot dumber than I thought.

They drain our tax base being paid under the table and suck up our medical resources. Then they fly Mexico flags and march on OUR streets telling us how great Mexico is and are proud to be Mexican while saying we have to grant them citizenship even though they are here ILLEGALLY. They are criminals, every single one of them, and they should be shipped right back to where they came. We should adopt Mexico's immigration policy.

Come here legally and I am all for it! That IS how we built this country. Come here illegally you can go fly a kite. I have no sympathy for you or your family and what comes of your illegal act. We also need to change the born here laws, which were never meant to used as they are today.
Rob, he is from the United States. He is an American living abroad. I dont agree with a lot that he says, but no where in his post you qouted did he mention illegals. He said immigrants.

I choose not to voice my opinion on how to stop illegal immigration, but you can bet it would involve jail time for using them as an employer.

Legals and illegals are completely seperate. If you think we have enough immigrants here, speak to your congressman. I have, so
far it hasnt worked. :rolleyes:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
You should take some history classes.
I've am an American, as my kids are. and being an American i have the right to choose where I work, live and play.

I own a lot of property, commercial and residential, pay taxes, many taxes, I even have Mexicans look after my landscaping:)
I reread your last post, You pig, I think people like you are the destruction of the work force.
making a buck off of someone elses hard work.

I do what I gotta do and I don't complain, stop your whining,

Reactions: parkers5150
1 - 20 of 339 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.