Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just completed this kitchen project in a neighborhood in Indy know as Arden. It is a combination of KraftMaid cabinetry and site-built custom elements in dark stained cherry. The counters are Caesarstone Nougat, mitered to the floor at each end of the "U", with backsplashes of Artistic Stilato glass mosaic tile. A bookcase niche was built to take advantage of an existing brick alcove between the tall pantry cabinets, and narrow shelves were built around it to connect and unify the wall. The microwave enclosure was built to mimic the proportion and height of the other shelves.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Chris - nice work as always.

Funny you mention about Samsung fridge - just installed one for a customer and had multiple issues with it (leveling, for one).

Called the appliance place and they were pretty much "yea, they should stick to making TV's, the fridges are very new for them and all we get are complaints."

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris - nice work as always.

Funny you mention about Samsung fridge - just installed one for a customer and had multiple issues with it (leveling, for one).

Called the appliance place and they were pretty much "yea, they should stick to making TV's, the fridges are very new for them and all we get are complaints."
It's a nice unit on the inside... just sucks to install.

It didn't help that the guys who delivered it (Lowes) didn't leave the parts kit out of the box--including the water filter. They did the same thing to me on the microwave--took it out of the box and forgot to leave the mounting bracket, parts kit, and info pack.

When they re-ordered the mounting kit, whatever showed up was completely wrong. So rather than wait again we fabricated our own bracket. We already had angle iron there to bolt the microwave enclosure to the wall.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I like the solid surface end returns...very nice. How did they apply them? Substrate of some sort?

Also, what is the deal with the almond colored windows?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the solid surface end returns...very nice. How did they apply them? Substrate of some sort?

Also, what is the deal with the almond colored windows?
The counters are actually quartz (Caesarstone). My fabricator did the miters in their shop, and field epoxied them together.

The windows suck, and unfortunately weren't in the scope to replace. They are vinyl replacements.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I think the counters really make the whole thing come together. I have a really great fabricator.

There are a lot of mom & pop granite companies that just don't turn out as fine of a finished product. Mine uses an automated templating system that they can take back and plug directly into their computer controlled cutting machines.

http://www.cathedralmarble.com/

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Austere, but great execution on your end. :clap:
Are the pulls mortised in like hinges?

Reactions: ChrWright

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Austere, but great execution on your end. :clap:
Are the pulls mortised in like hinges?
No, they just wrap around the door/drawer and screw on from the back. They're a piece of cake to install with a center-point drill bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts