Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Don't think they would survive very long here in tornado alley :)

Was gonna say "fly over too well" but in the storms we have been having lately they might fly quite well.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Don't think they would survive very long here in tornado alley :)

Was gonna say "fly over too well" but in the storms we have been having lately they might fly quite well.
Tornadoes will target it... it's a trailer. :laughing:

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
One of my former employees just built one like it for a couple from Cali.

TiiiiiiggghhhhhT!.......to say the least.

House.....?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I hope she has a lock for that gooseneck hitch. Someone will steal it.

Pretty neat, but its gonna get a awfully cozy in there with a 100 lb dog and a baby. No thanks.

The front looks a lot better than the back. ehhh

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Key word here is Architect .... The ones chasing notoriety all have the next world changing building/s. How many of these self indulged fools have ever changed anything except for their own exposure to other architects and artsy people.

I'd live like that, but I like the efficiency of it. Now sell something I like to the masses Ya right, run with that :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Could this be the wave of future homes.
It wouldn't be practical unless there was a way you could ensure that single people without children or responsible couples without children were the only ones who could live in houses like that. But the equal housing laws prevent those kinds of restrictions.

Many times I thought about building motel sized single family homes but it would make for a hostile environment with families of 4 or more. Once the occupants get tired of being in cramped quarters, their indoor business will start spilling out into the street. Also they would start expanding their homes by building tents and shacks until the community looks like a squatter city.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
The "tiny house" movement has been growing big time in recent years. Go on youtube you can find videos of people doing this. People buying sheds and turning them into living spaces and living "off grid" to get around codes.

The government will step in once it gets widely popular for sure and make up some more "laws".

It's funny with all the global warming talk and "going green" stuff the government still forces people to live in larger homes. Areas have minimum square footage laws usually 1500 sq. Back in the old days homes were really small so why can't it be done today?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
She fell off and broke her back building it. Just goes to show archy's don't know how to build a shed let alone a house!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing: Sad she broke her back tho:sad: Still funny...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I'll play on the other side here.

I had the big house and the wife stole it.

I love my little place right now. Only about 1200 sf, no mortgage, easy to keep clean, and the checkbook grows every day because of it.

On top of that, it's COZY. :thumbsup:

I love these little house stories and pics. It gives me a bit of peace of mind that not everyone is hung up on materialism or what everyone else thinks of them.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
But it's not 196 sq ft. I've seen bigger bathrooms.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'll play on the other side here.

I had the big house and the wife stole it.

I love my little place right now. Only about 1200 sf, no mortgage, easy to keep clean, and the checkbook grows every day because of it.

On top of that, it's COZY. :thumbsup:

I love these little house stories and pics. It gives me a bit of peace of mind that not everyone is hung up on materialism or what everyone else thinks of them.
I know that story Ron. I went from a roughly 2500 sq. ft. house to an 850 sq. ft. house.....with a 1200 sq. ft. garage.:whistling

Loving every inch of it.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My first house was 750'

but we didn't even use the one bedroom. so it was like 650' .

That was totally fine for us and the 80lb yellow lab.

I built a spec house 2 yrs ago that was 1200'.

It had 3 bdrms, and laundry on the main floor:thumbsup:

Pesonally I think many houses now days are too big.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
So what? Room to sleep, cook and sit in front of the TV. If she were restless, she could simply go outside and drive away.
I lived in a shed for a while. Wasn't bad for a young single dude. But it was as small as chit, but almost twice the size of that thing.

Our house is 2000 Sq ft, four people can live in it comfortably.

I'd always planned on building a big azz house with a bunch of windows, maybe some kind of chip on my shoulder. Last year we decided to stay here for 4 more years to pay it off and rent it out, and I got her to start going on Houzz and drawing a floor plan for the house i plan to build her, maybe on some acreage I might buy from her old man.

I figured to see some crazy chit, figured to have to talk her down. :laughing: She basically drew a 2000 Sq ft ranch house with a wrap around porch, simple traditional interior. Board and batten (I'm going Hardie) and sandstone exterior, wood porches. Kitchen was the only thing even romotely fancy.

Probably bump it up to 2700 Sq ft, I want to add a bonus room, and cut up the roof, throw in some wainscoting inside. Don't want it be boring :laughing:

Point is, I'm a lucky guy. Most of my buddy's wives are materialistic as hell. She is not at all, if anything I am a little bit, atleast about the house. Ego I guess.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts