·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I might be able to if I knew what one was.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL: To El Jefe and maker of fine kindling, you guys may not be able to help me, but I'll bet this jobs pay you'd be a riot to work with

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would draw that full scale on the floor in two dimensions, draw in you layouts for studs and measure them individually. You can even measure the bevel angle for each stud this way.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Not to sound like a dick, but need something more than what you have described, maybe some pictures or something. We can help, but ya gotta help us understand what you need first. Stud length....got it, but after that......
Then why is it that you sound like one anyway?:laughing:

WTF are we supposed to do, just guess at wtf this crazy curved wall thingy looks like and post a picture with our answer?

More importantly, what do I win if I gat it right?

Do I sound like a dick too? Sorry prolly do

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Then why is it that you sound like one anyway?:laughing:

WTF are we supposed to do, just guess at wtf this crazy curved wall thingy looks like and post a picture with our answer?

More importantly, what do I win if I gat it right?

Do I sound like a dick too? Sorry prolly do
That's what i did. I see things, terrible things.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You know if you circle the airport a couple times the landing is a lot easier.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
:thumbup: my wife says that to me all the time. In fact...my kids do too :laughing:

:eek: funny order of posts.....I read your reply before I saw the qoute!

:laughing:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are you looking for a way to calculate the studs for a compound circular wall or a sloped cylinder ?

With a compound circular wall you can use your CM pro to get the stud lengths based on the segment length of the bottom plate as well as the radius of the arched top. This doesn't seam like the right way to go, though, because it would not create a plane slicing a cylinder, like a roof slope. Where the roof slope intercepts a radius wall, an ellipse is formed.

The stud lengths in this situation can be lofted like an eyebrow dormer or a groin vault.

What I would do would be cut the top and bottom plates and put in the axis studs, then measure in the rest while determing the compound cut to put on the end.

Using my CM pro, A quick calculation of a 2' by 8' wide arch bumpout, radius of 5', and a 12/12 roof intercept, I get studs at a 6 15/16 layout first stud 8'

8-0 5/16
8-1 3/16
8-2 3/4
8-5
8-8 1/16
9-0
9-5 1/8
10-0

Getting the miter and bevel takes a little bit more thought, that's why I would get the plates up first then measure in everything.

Lofting will give all these measurements, you just need to draw it as you go.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Are you looking for a way to calculate the studs for a compound circular wall or a sloped cylinder ?

With a compound circular wall you can use your CM pro to get the stud lengths based on the segment length of the bottom plate as well as the radius of the arched top. This doesn't seam like the right way to go, though, because it would not create a plane slicing a cylinder, like a roof slope. Where the roof slope intercepts a radius wall, an ellipse is formed.

The stud lengths in this situation can be lofted like an eyebrow dormer or a groin vault.

What I would do would be cut the top and bottom plates and put in the axis studs, then measure in the rest while determing the compound cut to put on the end.

Using my CM pro, A quick calculation of a 2' by 8' wide arch bumpout, radius of 5', and a 12/12 roof intercept, I get studs at a 6 15/16 layout first stud 8'

8-0 5/16
8-1 3/16
8-2 3/4
8-5
8-8 1/16
9-0
9-5 1/8
10-0

Getting the miter and bevel takes a little bit more thought, that's why I would get the plates up first then measure in everything.

Lofting will give all these measurements, you just need to draw it as you go.
Well someone had to pee in our punch bowl with a bunch of fancy facts and figures.:no:

Nice calcs though :thumbsup:

I wonder if you get a prize even though you said the same thing as Loneframer. You made it sound so much better, that should be worth something.

Come on OP give the man his cigar :clap:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey now, I may not have the math background to drive one of those calculators, but I've seen alot of things, terrible things and I have always found a way to get through them.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts