Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Arch to separate 2 walls

2427 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ArtisanRemod
I need to make an arch to separate 2 rooms. It's about 12 Ft. What the best way to frame it? I like to use 1x6's
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Make two arches out of 1/2" plywood and use blocks to infill.
Thanks. What's the best way to mark the arches? I want it like the one in the background

Attachments

You could use cardboard to copy that and then transfer to the plywood.
That's an Ellipse.

For your situation get a piece of thin trim, stop, etc., spot some finish nails & bend until you get the result you are looking for.
I will try that this weekend. Thanks for the tips
I believe that is a segmented arch. Only one radius involved, as far as I can see. Nevertheless, bending trim piece works great.
griz said:
That's an Ellipse. For your situation get a piece of thin trim, stop, etc., spot some finish nails & bend until you get the result you are looking for.
I use Google sketchup. Draw the arc you want with the right dimensions. Then measure the height from the basr every 3". Transfer that layout to your plywood and connect the dots. I just used that method on a 14' and a 19' eyebrow arch. Much smoother than freehanding or trying to guess at it. You do eyebrows and ellipses by stretching a circle.
The string method works, but not really well on larger arches past 6 feet or so, the string has too much stretch to be consistent in my experience.
Yes, I don't want a skinny arch.
1 x 6 framing?.
nobody wants a skinny arch
Reactions: slowsol
The 2 we are doing are 13" wide, they look very good that wide.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/14345/how-to-draw-an-arc-when-framing-an-arched-doorway

i recently used the "bending a piece of wood" method and the arch I ended up doing a lot of tweaking to get it perfect. I would have used the above method had I known it.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.