Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I am back.:thumbup:
Anyway,I started a large addition on a house.On the east side of the addition is a drive thru about 30 foot wide.The homeowner wants to me to build an arch from the house to the outside wall of the drive thru.The arch will be constructed out of stone and used brick.It will only be 2 foot at the most.

My question is.....is there any way this is doable?

I think we should just cut the face off the stone and brick and lay them like i would thin veneer.

Thanks

Sorry for the bad drawing.:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
From it like a tie beam and thin stone it.

Vertical poured cells in the end-tied into the footing, with continuous steel into the solid 8" beam. 2- #5's through it 4" apart.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
2' would be the rise.
i am trying to talk her into letting me form it and veneer it.
Do you really want the liability to form that?

Contact an Engineer . 30' span gonna be steel. Easy to fur out and put lath on.

It looks like you are dealing with a shallow ellipse rather than an arch.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
A two foot rise over 15 foot radius = a side thrust of 7.5 x the weight of the material, there isn't enough mass over your piers to keep the mortar in compression, ( the abutments will fail)

Have your iron monger/blacksmith bend/roll/plasma cut & weld a curved lintel and then galvanize it, paint it to match the stone---sneaky and NO call backs for cracks

Reactions: Joasis

·
Registered
132 Posts
poured concrete with veneer would work, but I would get an engineer involved. the columns will need good ties to the footing and a lot of steel in the column to arched beam connection. Poured concrete or structural steel for the whole thing then veneer over it,

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
30' span with a 2' arch you will need a structural design.... With that said, I hope the HO has allot of money because that arch will cost him more than his house :laughing:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
People want what they want, but it will look phony - the mind and the eye know that a large shallow arch requires massive abutments, and if they're not there it will look phony. Put a steel beam straight across and hang a wall with veneer arch below it. $85k.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
the distance between the columns x 8, Is my rule, and will not look fake.
so 30 feet x 8 and you should push for at least 2.4 ft.
The farthest I done similar was 58ft, and it wasnt a arch.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I agree with the idea above. Steel with a ledge to hold the masonry. If it is in city limits, that piece of work inspector you guys have now will make it hell on earth.

I think my steel supplier would plasma cut the basic radius shape X 2, and then use say 16 wide flanges top and bottom. Light and boxed. Plus it would give you a lintel to support thin brick or veneer. I suppose you could even veneer the bottom as well.

Now, all this said, placed on structural steel supports at each end, I see no reason it would not hold for the ages.

I will be in Alva this morning on another project, I could buy you a cup of coffee and and sketch this for you.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
30' span with a 2' arch you will need a structural design.... With that said, I hope the HO has allot of money because that arch will cost him more than his house :laughing:
I think I could get the basic steel arch and supports built for $5,000 or so. We have done red iron complex shapes for less.....but the masonry work...I would have no idea......low bid? :laughing:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I see no need for steel, cut the brick, add rebar and pour.
That simple "design" from OP I would price 4 days for labor, + material, I see around 3 g's for the stone cut, 500 for the brick and mortar, 200 in rebar and concrete, so, for a ballpark figure not knowing how to read and write, I'd price that job for around $5.5 - 6.5 g's I really dont see it as difficult as many lead to believe.
but then again, I'm kindaofa hack

Reactions: JBM

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
You would do your cooky hollowed out brick reinforcement in a 30' span?
yes, without hesitations.
its fast, and it works

Reactions: JBM

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
what is basically being done is your pouring reinforced concrete in the middle of the brick,
if you had to form it in concrete, then stick on veneer brick, then point, it would take you more than double the time, the romans did something simular with their pours, using triangular brick as the form

Reactions: Joasis and JBM
1 - 20 of 22 Posts