Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello page, I am Andre I have attented formal training of Carpentry, Masonry, and some electrical. I have continuing education also in Carpentry to keep up with the latest in the building trades. I have only about 4 years total of on the job experience and it is difficult to attend apprenticeship in El Paso, TX. I have wanted to begin my own contracting business, and start small remodeling jobs as a solo builder. What would you recommend I do? Should wait to gain more experience through attempts at an apprenticeship, or obtain more OJT as I do more projects? I have done work with Habitat for Humanity, but my schedule do to being in the military has taken my time that I would be able to volunteer. Your input would be appreciative.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just my thought,I think it is always a good idea to know your song well before you start singing.

At what point can one "hang out their own shingle" ? I think it depends on the individual however,learning is a life long process but a lack of knowledge can put more bumps in the road than need be.

Just shooting from the hip,6-8 yrs experience seems to be a good time frame before one ventures out on their own. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I will always continue to learn, and also business aspects that other builders dont do in my area at the moment. I think as a solo builder starting off would be to do more of remodeling work, as not saying opposed to, rather than focusing on new home building. I can do new home building but would be time consuming if I were to take an offer on it starting off. I know what I am doing, fully understanding my limitations as well. For me I think the best thing to do is to focus more on remodeling and additions and rework profits into the business for some time until it is determined that I can hire a quality crew and management team. For the moment while I have the funds to buy most of my equipment some will be rented for specific jobs i.e. Wall hoists, drywall hoists, and renting lifts for second floor material. Well I will stop ranting on this thank you again for your input. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts