Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having an appreciation dinner/skeet shoot for my employees, subs, and suppliers. Do any of yall do something like this? Good experiences or bad? Or suggestions? Thanks for any help.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I think a roast would work best. That way you can tell them off, call them bad names, and still get a laugh out of it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do about subs or suppliers that are competition to each other and dont exactly get along? I use them both regularly and get work from them so I dont want tk leave any out.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What do you do about subs or suppliers that are competition to each other and dont exactly get along? I use them both regularly and get work from them so I dont want tk leave any out.
Watch the shotguns...:laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Have a simple dinner party at your home, or barbque, or steak grill. Instead of entertainment provided, they entertain themselves. You host, provide the food and desert, maybe the beer if you do that, and enjoy the conversation and company. Most competitors will enjoy each other's company in a non work related setting as well. We do this a few times a year, and host many dinner parties for friends...we do not really mix crowds, like the drinkers and non drinkers, but we have a good time every time.

If I ever get my wood fired pizza oven going.....

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
My only suggestion is to make it sporadic. For example if you do it every Christmas, it will come to be expected every Christmas whether you want to or not that year. Keep them on their toes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking of having something as soon as spring comes. I have a few customers that I would also invite that dont get along with one of my suppliers. If you ever met the guy you'd know why some people dont like him. Not that he'd show up anyway.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
they can be train wrecks unless you can control alcohol consumption. i've had intoxicated employees wives chew me out because i work them too long of hours, don't pay them enough, on and on..i've seen where a spouse will accuse somebody else of hosing their spouse. and then the assumed liability of over serving and finding them a way home. good luck.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
A lot of employees do not care for enforced socializing outside of a work environment. They want their pay and to go home to spend time with the people they want to spend time with and not even think about work or the a-holes that they spend 10 hours a day with already. They'd rather that you spent the cost of the shindig on a grocery store gift card for them and call it good.

Suppliers and vendors are another matter. They are pretty much attention whores because they think it will lead to more in their pocket. Those are the kind of folks that you hold a Friday lunch at a steakhouse for and do NOT serve alcohol.:whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A lot of employees do not care for enforced socializing outside of a work environment. They want their pay and to go home to spend time with the people they want to spend time with and not even think about work or the a-holes that they spend 10 hours a day with already. They'd rather that you spent the cost of the shindig on a grocery store gift card for them and call it good.

Suppliers and vendors are another matter. They are pretty much attention whores because they think it will lead to more in their pocket. Those are the kind of folks that you hold a Friday lunch at a steakhouse for and do NOT serve alcohol.:whistling
I disagree it's good social capital to host social events for your company.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Every Christmas, week or so before, we'd put on a feed in one of the spec homes. Employees, subs, come one come all.

We had a few gaming tables, poker & craps what-not. Mysteriously (the company couldn't) beer and good stuff showed up, right on time and nobody ran out.

It was a whole day event more or less. I have no idea how long the liquor and games lasted - all us beautiful people went home 5-ish. Last one out was to lock up.

Guys expected it - makes up for a whole year of a dirty SOB that looked just like me being an a-hole.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
I'm serious.

When ever I get invited to a workish party. I'm always the one who gets grilled about the way I am and how their husbands/boyfriends aren't allowed to hang with me.

Then a few days later I'll get a mysterious text that starts out innocent and then gravitates to a sexual nature.

I actually just received a text from a guys girlfriend today because Saturday I went to a work party.

She wants me bad, it's very obvious.

Let me see if I can take a screen shot, need to find a way to edit out the number though.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
I'm serious.

When ever I get invited to a workish party. I'm always the one who gets grilled about the way I am and how their husbands/boyfriends aren't allowed to hang with me.

Then a few days later I'll get a mysterious text that starts out innocent and then gravitates to a sexual nature.

I actually just received a text from a guys girlfriend today because Saturday I went to a work party.

Let me see if I can take a screen shot, need to find a way to edit out the number though.
Have you met my dog? I think yer both from the same litter..

I don't know whether to cheer you on, or warn the neighbors...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm serious.

And then he breaks her heart.........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts