Up to 32-core GPU
Up to 64GB of unified memory
Up to 400GB/s memory bandwidth

Reactions: reggi

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,167 Posts
Apple card is a pita. You can't split tender, and they're kinda stingy with the credit limits.

I have 64 GB ram in my imac and it's a tank. I'll have parallels up running windows with Planswift, and the about 12 different mac productivity/business/crm programs are up 24/7. My browsers sessions are like fractals - multiple windows with 24 tabs each. Plus it's powering an external 42" 4k monitor. I shut it off only when it needs to restart for updates, sleeps the rest of the time. Unstoppable. My macbook pro 13" has 32 GB. Can't image 64 in that little guy lol.

5k is very steep. If you buy it please share your experiences.

Reactions: wallmaxx

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
5 grand? That's insane. What do you need that for? Apple isn't a gaming machine. And you can get tons of Windows power for way less than half.

Editing video?

Not dogging you. I love technology. Just honestly curious as to why you need or want that unit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has arrived. 2 PM on 21-12-2021

I’ll be a few minutes getting everything set up and installed before I can actually make any initial/valid comments.

·
Design Build
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It’s pretty fast compared to the 2015 I used or the 2011 I owned.

I'm used to multiple monitors so it’s a pretty small screen.

that was fixed Christmas Eve.
I found a 43” 4K monitor. (Dell U4320Q 43 Inch 2160p 4K UltraSharp)
It almost feels too big.

nah.
Computer Personal computer Building Interior design Audio equipment

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,167 Posts
Found a 43” 4K monitor. It almost feels too big.

nah.
Nice. HP Z43?

I have one in landscape right of imac monitor. Might eventually mount another in portrait left of monitor. It's cheap real estate if you spend a lot of time on the computer.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
It’s pretty fast compared to the 2015 I used or the 2011 I owned.

I'm used to multiple monitors so it’s a pretty small screen.

that was fixed Christmas Eve.
I found a 43” 4K monitor. (Dell U4320Q 43 Inch 2160p 4K UltraSharp)
It almost feels too big.

nah.
View attachment 520772
One of my customers has 2 of those one above the other, he used to have 4 smaller monitors. Now just the 2 big screens and a laptop. He is a big financial guy and the screens are all divided up with different market charts.
Way too much to look at

·
Design Build
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been working all day on the new mac laptop......and it's really quiet. I hear all kinds of noises around me outside my office. So I checked to see if the fans were running.

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Software

ZERO RPM

I have never seen that in any other computer I have owned.
Crazy.

If Chief Architect would stop crashing....this would be the perfect computer for what I do.

(The preceding message is from an Apple Fanboy - and?)

·
Design Build
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. All work after the last save. Typically it’s only a few minutes because I’ve learned to save after every task or every couple of minutes.

The 6 y/o windows machine is much more stabile.

The mac is a boss with every other app I use. It’s just chief, so maybe X14 for the win

Reactions: Rio

·
Design Build
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep........it's a workflow now.

CTRL+S (win)

CMD+S (apple)

So apple changed up their HW and the SW devs are behind in adapting their code, so there is this translation code called Rosetta 2 built into macOS that handles x86-based, apple and cross-platform apps. That in and of itself introduces many fail point variables. The glass half full outlook is, at time progresses, more apple apps will get rewritten to run natively on the M1 architecture and so, things should get better over time.

Rosetta is pretty cool. It's seamless. It must lurk in the background because I don't do anything but open a standard app and it runs. All apps seem pretty snappy, so I can't physically tell if natively running apps are faster than transcoded apps through Rosetta. (I don't do benchmarking - there are 100s of YouTubers who do that kind of stuff)

I do love the integration of the apple world. Ease of use is a definite time saver.

Reactions: Rio
1 - 20 of 20 Posts