Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to bid on about 700 squares of roofing for an apartment complex.

The job:
- 5 buildings, 140 sq each
- 3/12 or 4/12, walkable roofs.
- 3 stories high
- 3 buildings have 2 layers of shingles. In awful shape, these maybe 40 year old 3 tab shingles
- 2 buildings arent as bad, but are still going to get replaced
- new ownership at the apartment

Has anyone in the group done a similar job?

How may this job differ from a residetial job. I figure a week per building. A month to complete the whoel job

How do you handle a ton of OSB replacement

Thanks

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
And to answer the osb question, on a standard residential roof we include 5 sheets for free. Keep in mind these are 30 sq roofs. Then $55 a sheet after that

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It differs because you know where you'll be for a month so it should be more efficient. You should see a discount on materials. Do you have a dump trailer or use dumpsters?

What condition do you think the decking is in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It differs because you know where you'll be for a month so it should be more efficient. You should see a discount on materials. Do you have a dump trailer or use dumpsters?

What condition do you think the decking is in?
I used dump trailors for a demo job and I intend on doing the same. I am meeting my supplier tomorrow to get a job bid on matieral.

I figure my material/labor/dump fees per square should drop 20% all together on this job, mostly from labor...

The Decking is my biggest question right now. Typically I'm doing the normal, ya know $50/sheet for my residential people.... but I figure there are 400 sheets a building, I have to really think on this one

I would like to hear suggestions on my approach to charge my customer for the decking

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
How much do you think you'll have to replace?

Why not tell the complex owner you include 5 sheets of OSB replacement into the cost for each unit and then a discounted rate of $40 a sheet?

I'm unsure what the big worry is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was thinking its 5 times a normal job so maybe I include 15 to 25 in the price...

I was just thinking if I got up there and it all has to go. 400 sheets. Then I'm turning around and charging $20,000 more for example.

3 of the 5 building are in awful shape

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Then tell the building owner the worst case scenario when you submit the bid. If you're that concerned because of the condition of the shingles, tell him at absolute worst it will cost an extra 20k due to a possibility of wood replacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then tell the building owner the worst case scenario when you submit the bid. If you're that concerned because of the condition of the shingles, tell him at absolute worst it will cost an extra 20k due to a possibility of wood replacement.
I'm with you. Ok, well considering that was my thought. Its good to hear you say that

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bam Bam, have you done an apartment complex before? Or something similar?

I edited my original post. At first I mentioned I won a bid on 635 windows some other apartment. Because I dropped my pants on price.

i want to not drop as low as I can go again, I want my fair share here

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
TomTomTom19 said:
Bam Bam, have you done an apartment complex before? Or something similar? I edited my original post. At first I mentioned I won a bid on 635 windows some other apartment. Because I dropped my pants on price. i want to not drop as low as I can go again, I want my fair share here
I see a lot of bids for big projects where guys drastically drop their price. While it makes sense to slightly drop your price just due to logistics, materials, steady work, no moving of equipment, etc it's not worth it to slash your projects.

The biggest project I've bid on that I won was nine buildings of 48 square. I've bid on quite a few and I always lose. I bid on a 950 square condo association and a guy came in at about 2/3s my price while me and 2 others were within $1500 of each other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a lot of bids for big projects where guys drastically drop their price. While it makes sense to slightly drop your price just due to logistics, materials, steady work, no moving of equipment, etc it's not worth it to slash your projects.

The biggest project I've bid on that I won was nine buildings of 48 square. I've bid on quite a few and I always lose. I bid on a 950 square condo association and a guy came in at about 2/3s my price while me and 2 others were within $1500 of each other.

Right, I was likely the guy frustrating the other guys around town on that window job. I did that in years past to keep afloat but I want to put my bottom dollar price days behind me

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
You guys are nice giving away free labor and materials on roofs . Bid as any other roof . Your runing a buiness not charity . Around this part it's 30 . I don't even bid for roofs in house or sub out anymore . It's no money anymore in it .

·
Registered
210 Posts
We are on building 5 of 7 atm and each building is 55 sq but has a lot of wood replacement. I am at my regular numbers for starter board, fascia and skip sheathing (No plywood or osb on these, it's a metal roof & we do "select fill" unless the want to pay extra for ply or osb). We could have charged more due them being two story and bad access but we didn't. We did however get special pricing from the manufacturer on the metal roof materials.

It is what it is, just put your replacement numbers in writing so they know them prior to starting, no one likes surprises. We were asked to submit an est cost per building for wood replacement when we bid it so they could budget how many building they were doing this time around. They had $ for 7 and we ball parked the wood replacement as a range from $3500 - $5000. We are averaging about $5000.

Just make sure you have all your extra charges in there, esp the 3 story, multiple layers, access, porta potty ect. We never use porta potties for residential, but it is required on projects like this... so you need make sure you cover that expense also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are on building 5 of 7 atm and each building is 55 sq but has a lot of wood replacement. I am at my regular numbers for starter board, fascia and skip sheathing (No plywood or osb on these, it's a metal roof & we do "select fill" unless the want to pay extra for ply or osb). We could have charged more due them being two story and bad access but we didn't. We did however get special pricing from the manufacturer on the metal roof materials.

It is what it is just put your replacement numbers in writing. We were asked to submit an est cost per building for wood replacement when we bid it so they could budget how many building they were doing this time around. They had $ for 7 and we ball parked the wood replacement as a range from $3500 - $5000. We are averaging about $5000 in wood replacement per building some are more some a slightly less but its at the high end of our range.

Just make sure you have all your extra charges in there, esp the 3 story, multiple layers, access, porta potty ect. We never use porta potties for residential, but its required on projects like this so you need make sure you cover that expense also.
Nice, glad to hear you secured that job. I am all over that contract stuff, ill be clear with my scope and what adds on.

I figure Ill give him an estimate and a worse case number for sheathing.

Good call on the porta potties. When I am running my spread sheet, I didnt give that much thought haha :laughing:

I hear the manufacturer warranties are different on these jobs. Thats the next thing I am looking into

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hear the manufacturer warranties are different on these jobs.
That's news to me, the metal roof warranty on our project is no different than a residential one. Do the comp manufacturers offer something different on project work?

We got lucky on our project, they liked us and didn't get other bids. We are hoping this means we get to do the next set of buildings when they are ready.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's news to me, the metal roof warranty on our project is no different than a residential one. Do the comp manufacturers offer something different on project work?

We got lucky on our project, they liked us and didn't get other bids. We are hoping this means we get to do the next set of buildings when they are ready.
Yes I am certain my supplier mentioned that to me over the phone. He cautioned me of it before I went in making fault promises. I meet him tomorrow at the job.

Hey you know what is nice, thats how I am getting this roof. They saw us an liked us then come to find out hes a friend of the family... one of those deals

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Did you walk these roofs? You should be able to get a good idea about deck condition if you do.

Safety of the residents is a big deal. Caution tape, traffic cones, hazard signs. You shouldn't be surprised how many people are oblivious to the hazard around a roof replacement. If someone gets injured or property (cars, etc.) gets damaged it's your problem.

There is always someone who will need their flat tire fixed, even if you're sure it wasn't you.

I wouldn't touch a job like that with out maximizing the use of a telehandler for debris removal and material handling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good point Mr Latone.

Safety equipment, all you need for your guys and property protection, its worth mentioning twice.

We had an employee fall 2 stories doing a side job, crippled himself and never returned to work. Your not walking away from a 3 story fall...or rather that sudden stop after the fall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts