Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an old G5 desktop and an old iMac. My wife likes to make art out of trash. I was thinking of taking the computers apart so
she could use the separate pieces for art. Is there anything in the circuit boards, heat sinks, etc that is harmful to touch? I know the screen in the iMac could contain mercury, but there are a lot of cool screws and parts in these things. Thanks, Nick.
When I search google it doesn’t sound safe, but I don’t always trust the general internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Or old **** goo. Ya never know.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,295 Posts
I don’t know about computers, but once I took the back off an old tube tv. Stuck a screwdriver into the innards and the tube blew out… violently! There were glass shards stuck in the garage door – 20 feet away. So glad I was on the back side….That could have left a scar!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,085 Posts
Depends on whether you subscribe to the "Ooh, broke a thermometer, have to call in the hazmat team" school of thinking. Nothing in there worth worrying about, as long as you don't lick it or use it for eyelash liner.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,753 Posts
Indian kids do it all the time.

You'll be fine.

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m serious guys. Some cool stuff in there. My
Thinking is that as long as nothing is punctured it is fine. She looked at google and freaked out. I’m going to keep some of the fans though. They are sweet. So many fans in that damn G5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,753 Posts
I've read (maybe here) that those fans installed inside a display cabinet are great for keeping dust out even when they have a door.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,085 Posts
I’m serious guys.
I'm serious too. I was an electronics tech for over 30 years before I got into this game, and it was far from licking radium-coated paintbrushes. The minuscule amount of hazardous substances I was exposed to was far more than an artist/hobbyist would ever see. No ill effects.

If you search for bad, you can always find it. I prefer to go for the glass half full.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Depends on whether you subscribe to the "Ooh, broke a thermometer, have to call in the hazmat team" school of thinking. Nothing in there worth worrying about, as long as you don't lick it or use it for eyelash liner.
About age 10 or so, I had a habit of breaking thermometers so I could chase down the mercury and break it in smaller pieces.

May explain a few things...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
About age 10 or so, I had a habit of breaking thermometers so I could chase down the mercury and break it in smaller pieces.

May explain a few things...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I worked in a building that was a old watch factory that was being converted into condo's. The laborer who was cleaning up had collected 2 pocket fulls of mercury from between the floor boards. As he was sweeping the droplets would group together and he would put them in his pockets, 2 baseball sized amounts.

A microwave is deadly though very deadly, computer not so much

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,753 Posts
A microwave is deadly though very deadly, computer not so much
Just had a customer talk with Samsung customer service. Was told he needed a magnetron and if I would replace it.

Uh, nope.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don’t know about computers, but once I took the back off an old tube tv. Stuck a screwdriver into the innards and the tube blew out… violently! There were glass shards stuck in the garage door – 20 feet away. So glad I was on the back side….That could have left a scar!
Yeah, the old TV's were dangerous.

In my teens, I had a TV in the bedroom. It used to be the main family TV when I was a kid. Really old, pushbutton, no remote.

It started making this weird hissing noise. I tore it apart and plugged it in. On the back of the tube, I saw this little hole. Seemed the noise was coming from it. I tried covering the hole with my finger.

Holy crap! That thing knocked me on my ass with a vengeance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts