Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Over the yrs the 4th has always been a up in the air thing with me. I may have worked a half day at the most, if at all.

This yr I'll be home pre-cutting rafters and timber for a 14x30 roof structure And loading onto my trailer. 5-v crimp metal too. And all the other crap(a lot of beer) I'll need for a two day trip.

Son's coming home on leave from Afghanistan and we are heading out to his property to put roof over his recently ''planted'' travel trailer.

4 wheel access only.........Generator power........Hot as hell.........Boy this is going to be fun :thumbup:

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
Looks like I'll be working on Wed. I'll be spraying lacquer onto some cabinets I built that have to be installed on Friday.

This is the first cabinet job out of the new shop. I just moved in last Friday.

Best part is, it's only 100 yards from my house :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,298 Posts
Not sure if 100 yards is a good thing or not. I think you might find it a curse. Being so close it will be so easy to just hop over there any time and do some work.

Makes it to easy to do work and harder to have time off with such easy access.

My shop is 2 miles away. I have to want to go there to end up there. Still close enough to get there in less than 10 minutes but far enough away for me to think about wanting to venture over there.

Same thing with my house and my parents. They offered me my grandparents house which was 1 block away from their house. I told them no thanks, too close. And now I live 7 miles away. Close enough to see them any time and far enough to discourage the show up any time attitude. Perfect.

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
Well it sure beats my old shop that was 25 min away without traffic. :laughing:

One of these days I'll get around to starting a new thread about the new place. :whistling

·
Registered
255 Posts
My wife just had a surprise 30th for me Saturday. Family up from Florida, my brother and his wife/kids. I dragged him to work yesterday. We voted to take off wens-sunday, back on Monday. I haven't been off in about year and a half.

Gonna be nice, enjoy the 4th and be safe.

Joe

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
hanging cabs in am, burning beef in pm, remember to have some fun along the way this trip does go by awfull quick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nope....been grinding for the last three months with long days and longer weeks. Looking forward to spending time with my family for the next ten days. Several of my employees were heading out of town for the week so it only makes since to shut down, regroup, recharge the batteries, catch up on paperwork, get my marketing in place and hit the ground running in ten days. My employees will be rejuvenated, I will be refreshed, and the business and my family will without a doubt benefit. Your kids are only kids once and this business takes a toll........I am not going to miss the limited time that I have grinding on jobs. I grind on jobs to have free time, and I am going to enjoy it. As will my employees with the time they will spend with their families. Interesting sidebar: when this is relayed to clients that are waiting, they appreciate it and enjoy doing business with a company that is employee and family centric.....they do not object to waiting.

·
Contractor
6,956 Posts
I'll be working, not on site... but in the office and in the shop.

Then, I'll be working the grill.
The Fireworks have been canceled here locally, so I'll be able to get to bed early, so I can hit it early on Thursday. No big break here.

·
Super Moderator
25,946 Posts
Over the yrs the 4th has always been a up in the air thing with me. I may have worked a half day at the most, if at all.

This yr I'll be home pre-cutting rafters and timber for a 14x30 roof structure And loading onto my trailer. 5-v crimp metal too. And all the other crap(a lot of beer) I'll need for a two day trip.

Son's coming home on leave from Afghanistan and we are heading out to his property to put roof over his recently ''planted'' travel trailer.

4 wheel access only.........Generator power........Hot as hell.........Boy this is going to be fun :thumbup:
Thank your son for his service.

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Bummer. Looks like I will be working on the 4th.

I have to go measure a patio door latch and order it tomorrow. Being that it is a block from my house, I may fill up on beer first. :D

·
Super Moderator
25,946 Posts
Our guys will be cutting peices for cabinets for our office and setting up a slab for my dads hot tub tomorrow. I'm cleaning up around the shop and the staging lot next to the shop. Then burgers and beer at my brothers to watch the fireworks display.

Back to the grind Thursday. Crew is taking off Friday, I'm playing catch up.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
Dam door came in today...:no:

Going to R&R a 3'-0 shop door in the morning for a good friend...

Then it's Margaritas & BBQ....

Hopefully I'll get the door done before dark...:whistling:whistling

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oven hood and ice machine are out at a store. Both need replaced, but I'll keep band aiding them as requested.

On the fun side, I'm doing a home inspection with a GC friend on the house I'm buying in the morning.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts