Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about not working, out of respect for the fella, he was a good leader with some exelent ideas, but I think I need the doe.

They should have a white man day too. Maybe the day Custer decided Indians didn't know how to fight.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah we're working today....

Personally I kind of have an issue with kids having the day off of school.... I almost wonder how King would feel about his memory being celebrated by a hiatus of education....

Tim

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I work today, but I do take the time to think of how better the world is because of him.

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Worked trimming windows today - - at least until I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. This AM NPR had kids from the Boys and Girls Choirs of Harlem reading from King's "I have a dream" speech. Very moving and a real reminder of what we lost when King was assassinated

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with Grumpy, what's a holiday?
I've often wondered what Dr. King would think about all of the boulevards named after him? Seems like all of the ones that I know of are hotbeds of drugs, prostitution and murders......some honor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I hear ya Teeter, been down a couple of blvds named for him that were the dregs of the town.

Just found this thread this morning, but wanted to weigh in. Personally I think there are way too many holidays these days. Government workers, bankers, teachers, etc, pretty much all get paid days off. If you're not one of them and you have young kids in school, you either pony up extra $ for daycare that week or one of you looses a day of work, the majority of folks in this country don't get King day off with pay.

Tim has a good point as well, I think Dr King would have thought it better students spend the day IN SCHOOL. Without an education you're opportunities are limited, regardless of race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts