Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if they have any new episodes but its that show with Danny Forster the dork thats deathly afraid of heights and makes an ass of himself all the time. I generally just watch it to fill some time but this morning they had a repeat of a "hurricane proof" modular home they built for a katrina victim. Never seen so much stick built lies and slander spewed in my life. They pretty much gave the impression any stick built house is a pos and we should all be out of business. They were framing the floor and Danny commented on the "big" lumber being used, the foreman commented that it was 2x10's and "no stick built house would have these". WTF?!? It was the crappiest lumber ive seen, all the ends were split, all full of knots. They talked about how it would take a year to build this house on site and it takes 2 weeks in the factory. It was a one story maybe 1k sq ft basic plain jane house, how can it take a year? Just had to vent, everytime i pass one of those devil houses on a trailer it makes my blood boil. :mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've done both stick built and modular. Modular are constructed in a manner to survive transport. In the FEMA reviews after Katrina they fared much better then most stick built homes. They are also built faster and for less money. That said they have their share of issues as well. IMO any home can be built on site as well or better then a modular. I don't know that you can compete in the area of time to construct or cost.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
I framed on the Mississipi gulf coast after katrina. Built a 4000 sq. ft. house on the beach. With all the metal strapping and hardware the architect rated it at 140 mph. F'n strapping everywhere. Went through four large boxes (3 " framing gun nail size boxes) on that house.

Had two bostich hanger guns going constantly.

Alot of homes that were withstanding the storm ended up getting knocked off their foundation after a floating house knocked into it during the storm surge.

There are alot of whole houses sitting at the bottom of the ocean.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah theres no way you can compete time wise with a modular, i wont deny that. They just made it seem that modular housing is by far the best choice quality and cost wise available. Maybe its just around here but every modular home we see is a double wide. These ppl get sucked in with these great prices but dont realize they still need site prep, foundation excavation, foundation, utilities, driveway, final grade and landscaping. They get an $80k modular that costs 130 by the time they're done that has junk doors, junk single hung windows, cheap kitchen cabinets, 1/4" vinyl covered drywall, plastic mouldings, popcorn ceilings. Most of em i see the siding is falling off within 5 years. Around here everything comes down to $$$$$, no concern for quality just gimme the bottom line.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I dunno if they have any new episodes but its that show with Danny Forster the dork thats deathly afraid of heights and makes an ass of himself all the time. I generally just watch it to fill some time but this morning they had a repeat of a "hurricane proof" modular home they built for a katrina victim. Never seen so much stick built lies and slander spewed in my life. They pretty much gave the impression any stick built house is a pos and we should all be out of business. They were framing the floor and Danny commented on the "big" lumber being used, the foreman commented that it was 2x10's and "no stick built house would have these". WTF?!? It was the crappiest lumber ive seen, all the ends were split, all full of knots. They talked about how it would take a year to build this house on site and it takes 2 weeks in the factory. It was a one story maybe 1k sq ft basic plain jane house, how can it take a year? Just had to vent, everytime i pass one of those devil houses on a trailer it makes my blood boil. :mad:
What do you expect...he's an architect....:laughing:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah theres no way you can compete time wise with a modular, i wont deny that. They just made it seem that modular housing is by far the best choice quality and cost wise available. Maybe its just around here but every modular home we see is a double wide. These ppl get sucked in with these great prices but dont realize they still need site prep, foundation excavation, foundation, utilities, driveway, final grade and landscaping. They get an $80k modular that costs 130 by the time they're done that has junk doors, junk single hung windows, cheap kitchen cabinets, 1/4" vinyl covered drywall, plastic mouldings, popcorn ceilings. Most of em i see the siding is falling off within 5 years. Around here everything comes down to $$$$$, no concern for quality just gimme the bottom line.
Modular homes vary greatly in quality depending on the homes manufacture. Many of the more reputable manufactures warranty their homes for up to two years. Twice as long as most builders are willing to do. When they first came out a lot of them looked like what you described. They are much different now and much better built. It comes down to money everywhere as money talks and b.s. walks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts