Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on a local CL:

Hello my name is Dave w/ -------------- Construction.I,ve been building new house for ten years now.Due to the economy new builds are far and few between.So i expanded my business into the remodel side of construction including.kitchen/bath remodels,cabinetry,trim,drywall,finish basements,doors,windows,garages,decks etc..Heres my proposal to everyone out there looking to get work done by a professional company at a cheaper price for the same quality of work.Any bid and or estimate in writting by a LICENSED AND INSURED LEGITIMATE company i will beat there price by''FIFTEEN PERCENT''THAT'S RIGHT''FIFTEEN PERCENT''.I am LICENSED AND INSURED.Also i come with numerous references from satisfied customers as well as pictures of all the work i've done.For references and pictures just email me at [email protected] or just give me a call at (xxx)xxx-xxxx i do provide free estimates and like i've always said''DONT MESS WITH THE REST''HIRE THE BEST FOR LESS''

Anyone want to bid against him for a dollar? :w00t:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
You know I'm saying to myself.... self, this guy's gotta do what he's gotta do.

He's licensed, insured, so what's the beef here? (other than new construction guys trying to do remodeling work)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I'm saying to myself.... self, this guy's gotta do what he's gotta do.

He's licensed, insured, so what's the beef here? (other than new construction guys trying to do remodeling work)

So bid a complete kitchen remodel for $1. Then he'll have to do it for 85¢........:thumbup:

Reactions: naptown CR

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not a bad idea if you are trying to get the phone to ring.

Not much downside, if the people have a decent price he says "WOW, they gave you a great deal on this, sorry I can't beat it"

If they have a high price he gets to do a presentation and already knows what his price has to be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
He's licensed, insured, so what's the beef here?
The reason pricing is eroding so rapidly is due to short-sighted hacks (in the business sense, not trade sense) like this guy.

When someone expects one of your super-clean installs for handyman prices (that's for you finley) you'll understand.

I just emerged from a heinous stretch of no bookings.
All the jobs I bid recently had ridiculous price expectations, insulting really. Quality, service and references had no bearing on the decision process....price, price, price.

Instead of caving I idled crews for a few weeks when work got really thin. Hurt my ego, my bank account and my guys but I refused to reward the *****s who lacked any respect for our work.

Fortunately, the profit gods took notice and I booked $38k of full margin work last friday with more in the pipeline.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I just barfed, alot!!!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
When someone expects one of your super-clean installs for handyman prices (that's for you finley) you'll understand.
:laughing:

Instead of caving I idled crews for a few weeks when work got really thin. Hurt my ego, my bank account and my guys but I refused to reward the *****s who lacked any respect for our work..
:thumbsup:

Fortunately, the profit gods took notice and I booked $38k of full margin work last friday with more in the pipeline.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

I'm seeing it the same way Magnettica, he's doing what it takes to put the bacon in the pan. Not a bad idea either if the phone hasn't been ringing.
I hope it works out for him but I'd bet he'll lose his arss. Its a good way to find out what your competitions price is though

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
There's just too much brown paper in the grout joints of that mosaic to be the typical mesh-backing... Did the guy install a paper-faced mosaic backwards? :sad:
Sure did. I also found this after turning water back on to check plumber had got the hot and colds the right way around. Turned water on and water poured trough the ceiling. Waste was no glued. Just cleaned with cleaner/primer and it popped straight of when the pressure from bath water built up.

O yeah and this guy was the cheapest plumber. Also licensed

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm seeing it the same way Magnettica, he's doing what it takes to put the bacon in the pan. Not a bad idea either if the phone hasn't been ringing.
I hope it works out for him but I'd bet he'll lose his arss. Its a good way to find out what your competitions price is though

Yea, it may get the phone to ring. But how can you figure you're going to make money when you have absolutely NO IDEA how much you're going to charge for a job?

All it would take is one wanna-be handyman who doesn't have a clue how to bid a job profitably, or misses a large-dollar line item, and this guy looses his shirt.

It's really just relying on your customers to set yor price, and it's just a very very very terrible way to get business rolling in.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Yea, it may get the phone to ring. But how can you figure you're going to make money when you have absolutely NO IDEA how much you're going to charge for a job?

All it would take is one wanna-be handyman who doesn't have a clue how to bid a job profitably, or misses a large-dollar line item, and this guy looses his shirt.

It's really just relying on your customers to set yor price, and it's just a very very very terrible way to get business rolling in.
He is asking for the competitions written bid or estimate, that way he can point out what the other guys missed and wind up being the savior.

Reactions: SC sawdaddy

·
Registered
101 Posts
My bro in law just had a guy do a tile job for him and he took the guy with the lowest price. My bro in law also happy with the quality :eek:

i like the guys placement on the spacers it really seems like hes lacking a little common sense. good thing hes insured. and the plumbing picture shows he thinks about stuff, and has knowledge of plumbing traps. maybe he got pre occupied by his precise placement of his grade A spacers.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Sure did. I also found this after turning water back on to check plumber had got the hot and colds the right way around. Turned water on and water poured trough the ceiling. Waste was no glued. Just cleaned with cleaner/primer and it popped straight of when the pressure from bath water built up.

O yeah and this guy was the cheapest plumber. Also licensed

Looks like one of those great plastic tubs that you can scratch with your toenails!

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts