Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using Thumbtack ?

I've never done online lead generation but signed up with this one. There doesn't seem to be much obligation for the contractor. I get about 10 free referrals / quotes within 10 miles of me initially at no charge. I'm getting several inquiries to quote.

Any gbu on these folks ?

I wonder where customers get on to Thumbtack ? I suppose social media and similar.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
PHP:
Normally I don't pay for leads but one showed up in my email from this site. Looked like a big project so I paid the 9 dollars for it.

On Monday we start the 25k roof and siding job.

Thanks for sharing, thats the first time I have heard anything positive about this lgc - hmmm

-

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
I've got a business profile on there. Thumbtack shows up pretty good in search results for my area. Seems like a pretty simple process.
Never bought any of the leads. Lot's of them to choose from.
Just too busy as it is.
But if I see a nice project that isn't to far away from me, I might check in to it further.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I'm sure there are a lot of low quality leads on the site and I probably just got lucky. I've paid for a few others since I got that one and I never heard from them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm giving it a try. I do a lot of 3-4 day jobs for reg cust. and need to fill in some days with small jobs. My first one is on Tues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been on it for 6 months. I got one lead that I paid for. Once the guy texted me images of his rotten shutters , and I told replace not fix, he quit corresonding. Seems to be all low ballers in my area.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've used thumbtack quite a bit for roofing jobs but not for anything else. We've completed nine roofs from TT this year and here is my experiences. Some shady contractors quote ridiculous prices upfront, making it a little harder to get your foot in the door. Once you have a few reviews things get much easier as almost no roofing contractors in my area seem to have many reviews. Even though leads are somewhere in the range of $3.99 - $14.99 our cost per customer is around $80.00.

I have experimented with these services for different types of jobs and I can only get them to work with roofing projects. I'm sure it's different for every trade.

On another note I have found PPC to be a great source of leads so far this month. Unlike thumbtack which also gets lots of their leads from ppc, the customers that have contacted me aren't shopping five contractors.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I still don't get it. I've been on Thumbtack for a few years but never responded to any of the leads. I just got an email from them saying, need a window installer, replacing 2 - 4 existing windows. Then it asks me to email back a quote. How am I supposed to quote a job if that's all the information I have? Can someone tell me how much it cost to replace 2 to 4 windows?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's the option to respond by hour, job or need more information. Her's part of my response.

I'd like to talk to you a bit more about your needs and how best to get this done for you.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I've paid around $430 for thumbtack leads this year to supplement my other leads. I have never given a quote without looking at the project.

It's brought in just under 80k in sales.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I tried a paint quote after getting spammed. Told the customer $50/hr and will need to see the job first to give more accurate numbers. Kind of a half assed reply for a half assed request.

What would be the best way to respond to give a quote? Since we really can't know the costs without making a visit?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Driftweed said:
I tried a paint quote after getting spammed. Told the customer $50/hr and will need to see the job first to give more accurate numbers. Kind of a half assed reply for a half assed request. What would be the best way to respond to give a quote? Since we really can't know the costs without making a visit?
My reply almost always starts with something along the lines of, " We are happy to quote their project but we must see the job in person first...

I have had more than one homeowner tell me they contacted us because they didn't understand how someone could estimate a project they had never seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts