Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a paint contractor doing mostly residential repaints. I have been considering taking credit cards for a while now. I have just started to look at pay pal as a possible way to take cards. Has any one tried this and how is it working?

Jim Bunton

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I've used PayPal for years but not for the construction business. I use it for on-line sales etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would only use paypal for an online company.

If you want to accept credit cards for your company, I would highly recommend using someone that either your bank recommends or some company that targets your industry and credit acceptance. Make sure you can do transactions via a machine, phone, and hopefully via the web.

***I just went to paypal and see they have been improving their services, I may have to change my view***

These are the current rates I pay for my credit processing:

FREE Merchant Setup
Gateway Setup with AuthNet
Rates at 2.35%
$10/month Statement & Support Fee (this goes to the reseller)
$15/month Gateway Fee (this pays for authorize.net account)
NO Monthly Minimum!
NO Annual Fee!
NO Early Termination Fee!

If I wanted, I could have a terminal for credit cards for free. But, I just use my website to type in the numbers.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Jason is giving you excellent advice. Consult your bank. Do what ever they recomend. Accepting credit cards really isn't that big of a deal or that expensive. But you want to make sure you go through :Thumbs: a reputable company which your bank will inform on. All you really need to process a credit card is just a telephone line and a little credit card processor box. Also I have heard some pretty interesting stories about paypal one came from a former employee. Tread carefully if your thinking about messing with paypal. They could seriously damage you reputation. Meaning if someone used a bad credit card lookout. Your account will be frozen and then its a mess to fix. According to the former employee they will purposely give you the run around even though it wasn't your fault. The only way to fix is to get attorney involved. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Many of the paypal stories were from their former years before they were bought out by ebay, but still they aren't a bank.

Check your local bank that provides you with your business account.

If you want to do online transactions I would recommend looking into authorize.net which Wells Fargo basically runs. That services is the number one medium for online transactions.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
MIKE FINLEY MAKES A EXCELLENT POINT HERE IS WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO TO COVER YOUR BUT ON THAT. GET A MANUAL CREDIT CARD MACHINE THE OLD SWIP MACHINE KEEP IT IN YOUR TRUCK. SWIP THE CREDIT CARD GET A SIGNATURE THAN GO BACK TO THE OFFICE AND RUN IT THROUGH ELECTRONICALLY. SAVE THE MANUAL THIS IS IMPORTANT. IN THE EVENT THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY REQUEST THE ORIGINAL WITH THE SIGNATURE YOU WILL HAVE IT. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT PAYPAL GOT BOUGHT OUT BUY EBAY. JUST MAKE YOURSELF 12 FOLDERS MARKED JAN. THRU DEC. PUT CREDIT CARD MANUALS IN THOSE CORRESPONDING WITH THE MONTH. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Mike Finley

When a dispute happens they will request the original if you have it. You will then mail it to them certified mail. You will make a copy of the original to keep for your records. My younger sister is a manger of a clothing store she sat around one night and told me all about how charge backs work. It depends on what they are disputing are they saying they never charged. Hard to say that when a person worked on your house. They might in a retail stituation dispute because of a faulty product they bought. But how can that apply to construction work. :Thumbs: Meaning construction work I would consider a different ballgame. Then in goes into like mediation and the credit card company will decide weather the person disputing has a legal leg to stand on if so then i guess hello peoples court. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts