Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its worth it if you can bring it concrete fast enough.

If your guys are sitting around between loads, and you're still payin them, then it won't be paying itself off. If it doesn't let you do a job faster & better, it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for the link Joasis.

Can't say I've seen or heard about it, but would have some interest if I could see a demo of it.

It just makes me wonder a little, though. It seems in the last few years, Marshalltown has been focusing more on DIY than the pro stuff. Our one major tool supplier dropped their line (as far as I know) because of this.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
It seems in the last few years, Marshalltown has been focusing more on DIY than the pro stuff.

5k is a lot for a DIY'r:whistling

I'd like to see it in action too.. thanks for the link:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to see it....if it worked as claimed, it would literally save the wages of 2 guys on a pour.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would love to see it....if it worked as claimed, it would literally save the wages of 2 guys on a pour.

See, that's where I don't quite agree. If your currently using a Vibra-Strike, your not really saving much labor during the pour IMO. I guess a little labor involved in moving/removing screed pipes & holders maybe, but I cant see much other time savings.

I can see saving some time on the set-up of the slab though.

I would have interest in the tool for the fact that it is "supposed" to lead to flatter floors.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No grade pins, or screed rails, and a flatter floor is the goal, it looks to be a solution. My point is simply that if you can run a 2000 ft pour, with 2 guys, instead of 4, and keep the floor flat, then that is the savings.

·
Banned
39 Posts
that screed is a good idea but, i know if my laser receiver isnt plum, its off alot. seems like to many different things to try to watch + control on it. I've helped put down a few floors with people that have that float bar.... you can't cut with it.
Does anyone even still use "screed pipes" ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all,
I am a marketing representative from Marshalltown Company and happened to come across this thread. I thought I'd answer a few of the questions and field any others you want to throw at me. The R2 Tech is an auto leveling laser controlled vibrating screed with adjustable vibrating controls. A laser receiver that is wired to the vibrating electrical motor receives a signal from a laser transmitter. The blade will then automatically tip forward or back to cut into a high spot or push up mud in a low spot. The operator is doing nothing but pulling backwards at a steady pace. They do not need to compensate for the screed if the receiver shows it is off. If the receiver shows it is off the operator will need to slow his pace and let the screed adjust itself.
The whole unit is run off of DC power so it's safe to use inside and very reliable. It comes with a Milwaukee three bay charger and batteries. A single battery will do 1200 to 1500 sq ft at a 5-6 slump. One of the keys is to start level and keep a head of concrete 1-2’ in front of the blade. This provides the screed the concrete needed to cut and fill. If you are putting the batteries on the charger right after you drain them they will charge fast enough that you should never be without a full one. The whole unit with a 10ft blade weighs less than 50lbs and is comfortable to use.
The advantages of other power screeds include: eliminating the need to set up grade stakes or make wet pads to run off of, achieving FF and Fl numbers of up to 50, no sinking in the mud when idling. DC power, easy and quick setup, handles are pivoting, and easy switching between blades. It is great for doing basements or pours with radiant heating!
If you go to the Marshalltown website under the INFORMATION heading and look at product videos you can see the R2 Tech being assembled and used.
I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about free samples? :thumbsup:

Actually, I am seriously considering one of these....I think the ability to hold to a flatter floor would make it well worthwhile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The laser receiver is included but the laser transmitter is not. The only requirement for the laser is that it spins at 600 rpms. We usually use a Trimble LL300 or HV301.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have talked to a Marshalltown Rep. about the R2 in the past. He told me he would bring one down for a demo. I am certainly interested in one myself. If it performs as well as they claim, I will be buying one. If you have ever seen the Somero work, you certainly agree, this could be the greatest tool yet. But, before flopping down $5k, I want to get my hands on one in action.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have to admit i'm very very impressed! I'm always for searching for ways to get flatter pours and this could be the ticket.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That's verry cool..

what about the horizontal? Seems like you could be dragging one tip high, and one low, while the elevation of the center stays on target...

·
Banned
39 Posts
I cannot see how that levels itself horizontally with a man controlling with handles that wobble + look to not be controlled with ease. Jk - can be used with pitch, just have to keep the laser at the shop.
It is a great idea, but would have to see it in action.
I vote The Black Beauty.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's verry cool..

what about the horizontal? Seems like you could be dragging one tip high, and one low, while the elevation of the center stays on target...
There is a replaceable Stanley line level on it!

Sweet!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts