Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting one for measuring up chimneys and stucco repairs, seems like it would be way faster than my current method of climbing up the ladder and dropping the tape.

I would have to break out the Pythagoras theorem for the final measurement on chimneys, but would save me some grunt work.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a Bosch one that was 100 bucks.... It works great, but you will need to make sure you are hitting a target measuring the chimney. It is worth the money..... I tried a 40 dollar ryobi one and it didn't work for crap.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a PD4 and PD40, the PD4 does everything I want.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I have a leica disto D8, works like a charm. To be honest though,the old fashion method of a surveyor's rod or counting the courses (obviously brick only) work just fine for 99% of my needs.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
I have a Milwaukee. Works great indoors, tough to see the laser point outdoors at times.

You do not need to do any math. A setting on the device allows you to shoot the base (run), shoot the top (hypotenuse) and it will calculate height (rise) for you.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Forgot to mention,I also keep a good pair of fairly powerful binoculars in my truck for chimney and parapet wall inspections.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've been using a Hilti PD30 for several years. Accurate to within 1/16" up to hundreds of feet. Works great outside. In bright sunlight the little red reflective plate helps to see the dot, though the laser does't seem to care about it for doing the actual measurement.

For estimates, I rarely use a tape any more - measuring room dimensions with the laser is much more efficient, and for measuring exteriors, it sure beats getting on a ladder or trying to get a 30' tape to stand up straight.

I don't know what the other less expensive brands are like. I haven't regretted spending the money on the Hilti.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well dammit, I'm buying one then.

I have to go look at two new block chinmey installations this weekend and I hate trying to count siding slats for height or climbing up the ladder.

Thanks guys.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well dammit, I'm buying one then.

I have to go look at two new block chinmey installations this weekend and I hate trying to count siding slats for height or climbing up the ladder.

Thanks guys.
If you are measuring far and outside bring a little camera tripod.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I use Bosch it works great...:thumbsup: I don't know about measuring chimneys, but for everything else is ideal, especially when you measure rooms with furniture or basements with stuff everywhere.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,360 Posts
Anyone Use One Of Those Laser Distance Measuring Tools?

Every day I work:thumbsup:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
The only problem is there to damn accurate.
there are always quite a few sq. ft more using the old tape ruler

Reactions: Fundi and dom-mas

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I am thinking of getting one for measuring up chimneys and stucco repairs, seems like it would be way faster than my current method of climbing up the ladder and dropping the tape.

I would have to break out the Pythagoras theorem for the final measurement on chimneys, but would save me some grunt work.
Check out the lil one from hilti and you bother breaking out the Pythagoras. It even does radius. Really badass.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I grabbed a Bosch today and played with it at home, neat little thing.

I found that if I hold my 2ft level like a bazooka and put it on top I can get super accurate measurements for walls and chimneys, should save me some time I could see the laser pretty far in full sun too, which surprised me.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,360 Posts
See now you're loggin:thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
43,609 Posts
I have the Leica D5 I use it to measure decks when estimating. It's great for outdoors because it has a viewfinder. I first bought a Bosch but took it back because it was useless for me outdoors. Your going to spend 500 bucks for it, but if you want to use it outdoors it's a good one. I believe Stabila and hilti make a good one too.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,360 Posts
I see the Hard lesson today... thread has been trashed. I wonder what happened over there:blink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts