Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing this Multi-max to use as a jam saw. (I am getting ready to do a big flooring job.)

Anyway, I read that people have purchased these for one job and then find 1000 different things to use it for but I hate uni-taskers and I am worried about spending $100 on a tool I only use once.

Anyone else have one of these?

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I haven't used the dremmel version, but I do have the Fien Multimaster, and I don't know how I lived with out it. It's excellent for flooring, and also for any kind of remodeling. If the Dremmel version works any where near as good as the Fien, for $100 it is a downright steal.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have the rockwell sonicrafter and it's great. I think it has more balls than the Dremel and it's half the price of the Fein

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have the Rockwell and am very happy with it. I chose it over the Dremel because it's motor is about twice the amperage. I don't know if this is any advantage, but I figured it couldn't hurt. You will have to buy the blades mail order for the Rockwell. They sell the Dremel in Lowes and HD, but I haven't seen replacement blades on the shelves yet. I've never used the Fein so I can't compare to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the Dremel, and I think it is great. I have used it at work to cut some plywood strips that were a little long, and it worked like a charm. I haven't been able to use it much since I got it because work has been slow. I think I have used it more around the house.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I also have the Dremel and it's good. It's not heavy duty like the MM, but it does the job. I wish they had more accessories for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I picked one up for cutting jams. It beats using a hand saw, and using an undercut saw can be really messy and a bit less accurate. It will pay for itself on the first job I use it on which will have 8 undercuts. I'll also be able to use it when I'm installing drywall and need to make cut outs for sockets and switches.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got one over the winter. It has saved me countless hours on everything from cutting jambs to cutting off thick shims. Used it to cut out a sink in a laminate formed countertop at the backsplash. Worked but smelled.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i was a skeptic at first about the fein.but after i got one theres no looking back the price has long been forgotten about. i use it all the time from sanding,scraping to cutting,cleaning caulking,notching!etc.

if your worried about price then get a dremel,but when that homeowner tool burns out, and your ready for the real multimaster you will kick yourself for not getting the fein from the begining.:whistling

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthyALL HAIL THE MULTIMASTER:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I would rather pay the extra and get the fein. I'd just like to find some less expensive blades.

I have a dremmel rotary tool and it is a toy compared to my roto zip (which isn't all that great in itself).

If you're going to buy something for work, buy something that was made for work, not hobbies, like dremmel stuff.

BTW I bought the Fein MM 3 weeks ago and I love it and use it often.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
As for a really cheap alternative to the Fien, check this out:
http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6266

It works the same as the fien, and is surprisingly good quality. It takes a fair amount of air, but when the pressure is up, it cuts faster than a Fien multi master, or about the same as the Fien Supercut. It takes Supercut blades, although you can use Multimaster blades if you really crank down on them. In order to fit the sanding pad, replace the washer and bolt that hold the blade on with something smaller to fit in the depression in the sanding pad (10 min and $2 at the hardware store). The greatest thing about this tool is the size however- about the size of the Procon detail saw, or about half the size of the Fien and the Dremel- great for getting into tight places. The tool exausts to the rear, so if you remove that black tube off the back, It blows air over your arms, which feels really good during the summer, but is less desirable in the winter. It will however make a passable air gun for blowing dust. As for cons- this thing uses a lot of air if you are using it a lot. I was running mine off of a 8 gallon wheelbarrow compressor, and with just the one tool plugged in, it was running at least half the time. Then there is the noise. Cross the noise that the Fien makes with a dentist's drill and double the volume, and you have an idea of what it sounds like. Anyways, I usually use my Fien, mainly because of the convenience of plugging into the wall, but it's really handy when I need to get in somewhere really small, or if I need both a sanding pad and a blade, because I can set up one on each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts