Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here sell Sun Setter brand retractable awnings? Any feed back?

They sent out some info asking if we wanted to be a dealer. We sell some awnings, would like to sell more.

In order to do biz with them, they want $1700 for your samples, and another $800 to list you on their website. So i said, man I sell aluminum awnings all the time with nothing but a picture in my pitch book, hows about you just send me some brochures, and i will sell you a ton of awnings. "nope sorry"

So I said are you in the business of selling awnings or selling samples???

with all that, there is no territory protection and no price protection against low ballers who pay the entry fee.

And you have to pay $800 every year to keep your listing on their website, and they refused to offer and details as to the number of leads that came in last year for our area. Oddly this national company has no dealer in our area even though the factory is about an hour and a half away from us

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had to find an awning for a client.
Called my distributor.They suggested I call factory for specs.
Factory will direct ship to me $130 cheaper than Distributor price for a $500 item.
Go figure.
It was Futureguard out of Florida.
Make sure they are treating you right on price.
Sunsetter does it to, if a homeowner wants to buy the awning and install it themselves they can buy it from sunsetter and get $200 off the price. If they go to a dealer its full price

110 Posts
Anyone here sell Sun Setter brand retractable awnings? Any feed back?

They sent out some info asking if we wanted to be a dealer. We sell some awnings, would like to sell more.

In order to do biz with them, they want $1700 for your samples, and another $800 to list you on their website. So i said, man I sell aluminum awnings all the time with nothing but a picture in my pitch book, hows about you just send me some brochures, and i will sell you a ton of awnings. "nope sorry"

So I said are you in the business of selling awnings or selling samples???

with all that, there is no territory protection and no price protection against low ballers who pay the entry fee.

And you have to pay $800 every year to keep your listing on their website, and they refused to offer and details as to the number of leads that came in last year for our area. Oddly this national company has no dealer in our area even though the factory is about an hour and a half away from us

I went to their site an snooped as much as theyd let us...

For the above price, you compete with homeowners who buy at a discount.

They make a point that anyone can install with a few simple tools.

Some premium models can only be ordered directly from mfg.

No install warranty for dealer installs. (only product defect)

Customer sends email and Mfg sends dealer info to customer (list must be a big secret)

If customer orders direct there is a payment plan...do they offer you credit...at least 30 days?

WTF. With friends like these.........

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to their site an snooped as much as theyd let us...

For the above price, you compete with homeowners who buy at a discount.

They make a point that anyone can install with a few simple tools.

Some premium models can only be ordered directly from mfg.

No install warranty for dealer installs. (only product defect)

Customer sends email and Mfg sends dealer info to customer (list must be a big secret)

If customer orders direct there is a payment plan...do they offer you credit...at least 30 days?

WTF. With friends like these.........
Your not competing with the homeowner, they are still selling it to you for a lot cheaper than they are to the homeowner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you look into Durasol retract. awnings. We install them quite a bit. They may not be the cheapest, but they are high quality and easy to put up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guess what I got in the mail today?

A flier from Sunsetter Awning asking me to become a dealer for them. It says I can get a free information pack. Should I do it? Should I should I? After reading the comments above I think I will file this is my green filing cabinet. The garbage can.

Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
"Tell'em about the discount Frank!!!" Stupid commercial for sunsetter!! I cringe everytime I'm asked to install one, I absolutely hate them..Ugly..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really hope people know that all it is, is a awning off a RV. I just put one on a buddys camper. It has all the same fitting and hardware. I tell you this because I'm in the awning biss. in florida and there crap. There my 2 cents.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
The two Sunsetter awnings I've had to wire for power were both of nice quality and installed professionally. The lower cost to an actual dealer goes a long way in maintaining a professional image of their product. There's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well here you cant get a permits for them. Almost all the demo I do are busted by the county for not having a permits and dont meeting 130, 140 mph wind loads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well here you cant get a permits for them. Almost all the demo I do are busted by the county for not having a permits and dont meeting 130, 140 mph wind loads.
i used to engineer and build pool enclosures in florida. i did not think u would need a permit for something that rolls up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now days they want permitting on everything. They got my Butt Friday for not having a permit for two fence section on the side of my house. THEN TRIED to bust me for my camper sitting in my front yard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts