Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking... but wasn't sure. Never been around any glue up jobs. My last company had a crew in Richmond that glued, but I never got over to see em work.

Thx

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,770 Posts
1 screw in the field? I guess that would reduce screw pops. :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,770 Posts
And screws to buy and install. Win win for the contractor. Not so sure about the HO.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,645 Posts
That's pretty funny - I watched the video, and didn't see what the question was.

FWIW, I do screw and glue if I'm rocking an outside wall - keeps air from moving through the wall.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Oh yea, glued. I think it does make a smoother wall. Glue is more expensive than screws, but consider the time for filling all the screw holes. I know some are thinking, 2 swipes and all three field screws are covered, but they add up. In the long run the cost is probably similar, but the results are better. Not to mention no screw pops.
I don't think it would affect the homeowner. At least I can't think of anything right now. What I do see it affecting is the remodeling contractor 30 years down the road. I think it will be tough to remove the board and get back to a smooth stud.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Whenever I start thinking about laying down beads of glue as an alternative option, I think about what a nightmare it will be for the next person down the line who decides to modify or get back to clean studs. Are screw pops really that common of a problem? I rarely see them except with nails, badly abused walls, poor installations, or moldy and water damaged rock.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Whenever I start thinking about laying down beads of glue as an alternative option, I think about what a nightmare it will be for the next person down the line who decides to modify or get back to clean studs. Are screw pops really that common of a problem? I rarely see them except with nails, badly abused walls, poor installations, or moldy and water damaged rock.
They are as sure a thing as death and taxes.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,645 Posts
There are way too many ways to get screw / nail pops. I still use traditional (non-glue) screw patterns most of the time.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There are way too many ways to get screw / nail pops. I still use traditional (non-glue) screw patterns most of the time.
Many ways to skin the cat, my father was convinced glue and a couple screws was the ultimate way. I couldn't stand having to pull a sheet back of with glue on it, plus the caulk gun was just another tool to carry around that ya don't need.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,645 Posts
I hanf by myself, and I do a lot of fire rated, so most of the time even if I use glue, I still use a full screw pattern. Airtight Drywall Approach (Canadians started it) gets screwed and glued, and anything framed on the flat. Adding the glue can really help in a fire - keeps it from burning bay to bay as easily. I found that out after a remodel I did with some ADA and fire rating burned -it's amazing how much some detailing can really make a difference.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts