Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
I think no matter what you use, you're still limited by eyeball / care in measuring. I'm not sure what use this would buy me something, but if you try it, post up your experience:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,872 Posts
Bad enough we have to deal with Feet, Inches and Millimeters. Now they want us to deal with Bobs?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Bad enough we have to deal with Feet, Inches and Millimeters. Now they want us to deal with Bobs?

:censored: I finally calculated all the LRC equivilent conversions and now "BOBs" :rolleyes:WTF.

Anyone have the conversion ratio? :laughing:

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
If we didn't already have a system that was ingrained in my mind (and pretty much everyone else's), and we needed one, that might be a good one.

Being as I've been building stuff for going on 20 years with a normal tape measure, and have been able to layout and measure things almost to perfection, even stuff like fine cabinetry or trim work, I'll pass on confusing my already overworked brain with a new system.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
I'm pretty sure I could slap a vernier on my rule and read in 1/24s, I'm just not sure why I'd do it.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Just go metric and forget it. In one generation it would be over, and everyone would be on the same page. We tried, but failed before I know, but come on guys, metric makes so much more sense!

Don't even talk to me about Bobs:mad:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,872 Posts
They failed. They should all revert to imperial. That would be easiest.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
Just go metric and forget it. In one generation it would be over, and everyone would be on the same page. We tried, but failed before I know, but come on guys, metric makes so much more sense!

Don't even talk to me about Bobs:mad:
Bobs would just be another unit on the construction calculator. I'm not carrying two tapes, though.

·
Super Moderator
24,715 Posts
Just imagine being the saw man and hearing- 12 & 1/3 Bobs strong...:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,872 Posts
If you could get your cutman to agree with it, it might be amusing to yell that out and see the looks people might give you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
For the record, the inventor does have some real good points.

I always thought the rule should be divided by twelve, same as the foot. But for smaller work (cabinets) twenty four would be needed.

It would allow for a much easier way to proportion work. But really only needed on the small scale because our foot and yard work on the larger scale.

Bob.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
I always thought the rule should be divided by twelve, same as the foot. But for smaller work (cabinets) twenty four would be needed.
They already sell rules graduated in 12ths - even some framing squares have them. Drafting rules have all kinds of scales, including 24ths and smaller.

Like I said, if I really wanted 24ths, I could just put a vernier scale on my tape measure, framing square, or rule.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts