Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a medium size ranch(3800 sq ft)..it has over 850,000 btu's.....they really like gas appliances
boiler,2 furnaces, modine, 3 cooktops, 2 fire places, dryer

house is 125' long

I was shocked to see it wouldn't come close to working w/ 1 1/2" gas pipe....ive run 2" in commercial, but never in a house before

the thing I never get is the meter....its rated for 625cfm and has a 1 1/4" outlet........ive run into this before and everytime I call the gas company they say the smaller meter will work even though the BTU's don't match up with the meter CFM

any idea why?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Is it the same reason a 200 amp panel can be filled with 800 amps of breakers and never has a problem?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Probably has to do with the fact that there is no flow loss due to distance at the meter, where your numbers are including the piping loss.

I commonly see 2 inch in large homes here on the island, especially with all the nat gas generators going in now.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Huggy....

I've wondered the very same thing.... It seems the meter outlet would act as a choke at 3/4 or 1" and would be the major and material flow restriction....

And then we are then paying for 1.5 or 2 pipe to minimize any further flow restriction, because the meter is already created alot of restriction.

(Did that make sense)?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I once did a residence with 2" pipe and a 5# pressure system. We installed regulators where the branches split from the main.

You can get a lot more gas through the meter if the regulator is installed after the meter. Then, the amount of gas available is a function of pressure.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I once did a residence with 2" pipe and a 5# pressure system. We installed regulators where the branches split from the main.

You can get a lot more gas through the meter if the regulator is installed after the meter. Then, the amount of gas available is a function of pressure.
Yes... But that is not what Huggy is talking about.

I saw a man walking his dog in Detroit.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant change the meter to a 2lb system because its already there and installed....I have to work with whats there.....

my pipe machine only threads up to 1 1/2", so I had to take measurements and drive to the supply house to thread it...luckily I only need á short run of 2"and I had enough left over from another job years ago....so the pipe was free

1 - 10 of 10 Posts