Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
called certainteed and they said NOT to power,could take the finish off.use a hose.
I was referring to vinyl siding. If if you meant pre-finished fiber cement siding, then yes, stick to a hose.

But, as with any pressure washer it depends on the PSI of the unit. If someone is using a 3000psi unit and is not aware of it's power, and holds the nozzle too close, you can put a hole clean through solid wood siding for that matter - and obviously can damage vinyl siding or any other type of siding. Proper use of a pressure washer (especially the very high powered ones) requires a little common sense, instruction, and experimentation. ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Some of the vinyl siding (I know Certainteed for sure has some) has a painted on finish.

I have powerwashed some painted steel siding on my own home and it holds up fine (Edco). I definitely wouldn't get carried away with the high PSI units.

I believe it's "monster" sells some powerwash soap specifically for siding and is safe to use (environmentally). Got it from northern tool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MJW is right. You can use the 3000 unit, just use a 20 degree fan blade. Start at the top work down away from laps. Spray lazy helper guy at close range with the 0 blade for making you power wash in the snow.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i remember my first powerwash,it was an old white aluminum siding joband tha more i washed it the grayer it got:blink:then i realized it was the the old paint on it was mostly chalk and the gray part was actually the metal underneath:shutup:....new siding job:clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts