Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems easy enough to do.

Are there any alternatives to using a bowrench?

In the past I've just dug my prybar into the joist and used that as a lever, but the bowrench sure looks convenient.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just used the one I built this weekend on my new deck. Works pretty good. You will definately bust your knuckles a couple of times, but overall a time saver.

I used bolts instead of the pins to hold it together. I would suggest adding some weld slag to the inside of the gripping teeth. They tend to slide on wet 2x's.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
For $50 the bow wrench is one of the cheaper tools I own. I wish all the tools I owned returned on their investment like it does. I'm all in for saving money when it makes sense, but I don't see the savings here. That tool will pay for itself in the first hour you use it.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one...

A quote from one of my guys when he used my Bowrench for the first time, "This thing is the cat's a$$"

'nuff said!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terry, where did you end up buying yours? I'm going to check ebay to see what they've got.

Kevin

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
kevin k said:
Terry, where did you end up buying yours? I'm going to check ebay to see what they've got.

Kevin
I got mine at Lee Valley Tools - $79.95 CDN. I picked it up myself (I'm fairly close to the one in Toronto) to save on the shipping costs. It's by far one of the best tool purchases I've made this year.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Woodcrafter74 said:
Check Amazon for bo-wrench, $45 and free shipping.
I just finished a deck and used 20' lengths of PT decking. It would have been a nightmare without the bo-wrench. Time is money, buy the tool.
Amazon doesn't help if you're in Canada.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I just got my bowrech the other day (about 1 year later than I should have) and I dont know how I lived without it before I saved at least 4 hours on the deck I just did (16x16 PT decked and fully screwed off in less then 4 hours) I love this thing although it does tend to slide on wet PT so I beat the crap out of the inside of the legs with the claw of the hammer now it has little teeth to grab with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've used a small bar clamp and a thin flat bar in the previous course for an anchor point...a little slower probably, but works O.K.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Before I bought my Bowwrench I would drive a large scre driver in the joist and pry the board with it. The Bowwrench is a great addition and much easier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
when does a deck board become to warped to use? in other words, how far can you tweek a board using the bowrench?

Thanks

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
kenvest said:
when does a deck board become to warped to use? in other words, how far can you tweek a board using the bowrench?

Thanks
There would be no limit as long as the deck board is still flat and not twisted.

I can imagine taking a 20 footer, butt it up against the last deck board on one end and look down to the other end and see it out 2 feet and you could still pull it in by working your way down the board and fastening as you go.

I wouldn't want to use lumber that far off, but the bow wrench would certainly make it possible to get it in place. I've used it on Ipe which is like using it on steel so it's plenty powerful.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Can't say anything against a bo-wrench, 'cuz I never used one, - - but I can't say I really see the need for it either, - - I just put the board in (crown towards previous deckboard), - - screw in the center first, - - then go to each far end (where I have the most leverage), - - and again, screw in. Then all points in between are automatic. If the board is really badly crowned, I would start on one end, then go all the way down to the other. Never really had enough of a problem to search out a tool for help. Looks like a cool tool, though.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I had my BoWrench rattling in the back of my truck for months because I just never took it out for some odd reason. Thank God I had it there because I was actually framing out a basement and needed to persuade a top plate nailed into blocking perpendicular to the floor joists. Suffice to say you can use a BoWrench upside down too!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Tom R said:
Can't say anything against a bo-wrench, 'cuz I never used one, - - but I can't say I really see the need for it either, - -
Tom do you come up with stuff like this just for the fun of it or what?

Tom - "I have no knowledge of what we are discussing but I'm certain I'm against it!"
:cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

HIYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts