Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of switching out my old 10-12 year old 18v tools for 20v.
I occasionally hang some doors and power availability is often an issue hence why I work mostly with cordless tools. Obviouslytypical corded routers run very high rpm's to do their job, but I wish someone made a light duty router to mortise hinges, etc,
Been using a chisel forever.
I know dewalt makes an 18v roto zip. Has anyone converted or used one to do light routering?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the porter cable one. Brand new, never used! I'm sure the battery is toast from sitting.
I hear the door hanging guys love them. Same base, same router, as the popular corded ones.

I've never used it, so definitely interested in parting with it...

Ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have used the DeWalt cut out tool to route hinges, strikes and latches. I am really looking forward to getting the 20v version.
All I do is commercial doors.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I have the porter cable one. Brand new, never used! I'm sure the battery is toast from sitting.
I hear the door hanging guys love them. Same base, same router, as the popular corded ones.

I've never used it, so definitely interested in parting with it...

Ron
Model #? Link?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Another option would be an 12v dc to 110ac inverter and use a std router. For $20 you can pick up a lawn tractor batt, that should give adequate run time for a couple doors, or run it off your van.

I just trimmed back about 100 limbs with an electric pole saw this weekend, running off my van. I pd about $120 for a 2,000 watt 4,000 peak inverter from HF. It worked out great!

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
Porter Cable, Ryobi and Sears used to make one I THINK you can still order. but The battery life on a cordless router must be awful... My vote goes to an inverter with a battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used the DeWalt cut out tool to route hinges, strikes and latches. I am really looking forward to getting the 20v version.
All I do is commercial doors.
This is what Im really looking for, a 20v max solution. And...someone to tell me the cut out tool can be used to do the job. 1/8" depth hinge cutouts shouldnt require a corded router. Especially with the crappy soft woods most doors are made with today. And since I rarely hang more than one door at a time, and I carry 3-4 batteries with me for multiple tools, Im going to pick up the new 20v model (DCS551B) and give it a shot. It does have a 1/4" chuck for bits. Also will help with my occasional small drywall hanging jobs too. Only problem I expect is the adjustable foot on these is flimsy. Maybe I will "modify" it.
Thanks

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I've been looking at the 20v cut out tool for light mortising. If you end up setting one up for this, post pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts