Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is on a set of drawings i recently received to bid;
8SW18
i believe it represents an 8" C-Joist, but what is SW ? what do the letters and numbers peresent?

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
American Standard Wide Flanged

Example:

8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.

Despite contrary belief, there is no such thing as an "I" beam. They are wide flanged sections.

(Similar to cinder blocks...they stopped making those decades ago...they are now CMU (concrete masonry unit)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sound of a bell, with clapping in the background

We have a winner.

A manufacturers number coresponding to a 8x18ga standard stud

Coming in dead last, and disqualified for specious guessing

American Sstandard Wide Flanged

Example:

8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.

Despite contrary belief, there is no such thing as an "I" beam. They are wide flanged sections.

There are such things as an "I" beam. The inside of the flange of an "I" beam is not flat, and the flange width is much less than a comparable wide flange.

Beams are designated such as "S18x320" for a "standard" profile "I" beam 18" tall by 320 # per foot. A wide flange beam would have the written designation "W12x221" for a wide flange beam 12' tall, weighing 221# per foot. Some refer to wide flanges as "H" beams.

Of coarse the OP could have deduced that the plans probably were not calling for W8x18 24"OC:thumbsup:

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
Sound of a bell, with clapping in the background

We have a winner.

A manufacturers number coresponding to a 8x18ga standard stud

Coming in dead last, and disqualified for specious guessing

There are such things as an "I" beam. The inside of the flange of an "I" beam is not flat, and the flange width is much less than a comparable wide flange.

Beams are designated such as "S18x320" for a "standard" profile "I" beam 18" tall by 320 # per foot. A wide flange beam would have the written designation "W12x221" for a wide flange beam 12' tall, weighing 221# per foot. Some refer to wide flanges as "H" beams.

Of coarse the OP could have deduced that the plans probably were not calling for W8x18 24"OC:thumbsup:
Your arrogance and narrow mindedness precede you.

There are NO SUCH THINGS AS "I" BEAMS. Your jobsite lingo and terminology are inaccurate and improper. The "I" beam you are referring to with a curved flange is an American Standard. A wide flange beam has a flat flange.

""H" beams"" and other similar terms used on a jobsite portray the lack of proper education on the materials. Now would you like to debate angles, legs and channels? Or square, round, and rectangular bars?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
""H" beams"" and other similar terms used on a jobsite portray the lack of proper education on the materials. Now would you like to debate angles, legs and channels? Or square, round, and rectangular bars?
The cyber spanking you are attempting to give me looses strength coming from someone who doesn't know the basic terminological difference between a 8sw18 steel stud, and a S8X18 American standard beam, colloquially referred to as an "I" beam by generations of Ironworkers.

I bet everyone thinks you are real smart when a freight car of structural iron shows up at your job, instead of a pickup load a steel studs

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
So what are you bidding D-rock? Metal stud framing or structural steel? I think I know the answer.

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
The cyber spanking you are attempting to give me looses strength coming from someone who doesn't know the basic terminological difference between a 8sw18 steel stud, and a S8X18 American standard beam, colloquially referred to as an "I" beam by generations of Ironworkers.

I bet everyone thinks you are real smart when a freight car of structural iron shows up at your job, instead of a pickup load a steel studs

My mistake is that I should have read some of your previous posts prior to responding to you. The majority of them illustrate the cynicism that you demonstrate in this thread.

Please continue to provide useful knowledge and leave the BS for the uneducated that you learn your terminology from.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Cry me a river. The basic fact is that when the OP asked a metal framing detail question, you wrongly specified a heavy piece of structural steel.

This is all BS babble, and all you can do is tell me I'm stupid because I realize that many refer to standard- and wide-flanged beams as "I" and "H"? You're the one who made the mistake, and continue to compound your mistake. You did not know the standard North American structural steel reference terminology. Big deal that you don't ever say "I" beam. I still don't see you getting a Nobel Prize in Construction anytime soon.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
American Standard Wide Flanged

Example:

(Similar to cinder blocks...they stopped making those decades ago...they are now CMU (concrete masonry unit)
I used to try explaining to people they were not cinder blocks, and they were concrete blocks, some people even call them cement blocks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what are you bidding D-rock? Metal stud framing or structural steel? I think I know the answer.
metal (steel) structural stud framing. Usually it's not indicated this way. it'll just have a detail section and show 16ga. 8" CRM, which is standard 16ga 8" c-joist. in this drawing, the prefix they gave was foreign to me. I had an idea of what it was, but I wasn't certain.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
this is on a set of drawings i recently received to bid;
8SW18
i believe it represents an 8" C-Joist, but what is SW ? what do the letters and numbers peresent?
metal (steel) structural stud framing. Usually it's not indicated this way. it'll just have a detail section and show 16ga. 8" CRM, which is standard 16ga 8" c-joist. in this drawing, the prefix they gave was foreign to me. I had an idea of what it was, but I wasn't certain.
This is one reason why licensing is a good idea.

Obviously you don't understand what you are bidding on, how can you competently do the work?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
This is one reason why licensing is a good idea.

Obviously you don't understand what you are bidding on, how can you competently do the work?
That is complete BS. The detail shown on the OP's plan was an obscure MS reference, one that many may not be familar with.
That is a very common way to describe steel, it is not an obscure reference.

When I took the exam for my state of Florida contractors license, there were questions on steel like this and we had to work out the weights, heights etc. on them, the reason we are tested on this, is to prove to the state we know what we are doing.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
You're refering to 8SW18 as being a common metal stud designation? It must be a regional thing
No that is not a steel stud.

It is a wide flange steel beam or cloumn, depending on its location.

have you ever worked with steel studs that weigh 18 lbs per lineal foot?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have worked all over the western US and never seen a steel beam referred to as 8SW18 on plans. They have always been referred to as W8X18 (sizes are merely for example).

I goggled (W8X18 steel beam) and got a ton of structural steel hits. I goggled (8SW18 steel beam) and got a single steel framing system hit.

??????????????

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.