Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hooked up with em 7 years ago or so because it looked like a neat product and i was trying to bring something new to the area. Over the 7 years ive installed maybe 7 of their roofs. First few i did they had a rep come up show me the ins and outs of it all and most of it seemed like come sense with flashing and water runs downhill, if it gets in somewhere you need to let it out. Problem im having is i have a costumer that wants one it has 2 valleys and he has major ice dam problems in the valleys. He's retired goes to florida every winter so no one will be there to watch over the house.

Make matters worse he wants gutters installed around the place which will make the ice worse. My concern is the metal valley pan and preventing the bottom from freaking over and water backing up it and running out. Anyone i talk to either doesnt understand my concerns or tells me something wild that doesnt really pertain to what im asking. Its gonna be a shingle over if he decides to do it, any advice. Plz keep flaming to a minimum im fairly new to metal roofs. ;) And im talking about the granite ridge/guardian shingle, not the batten type roof system.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If he has major ice damning now, presumably with asphalt shingles, I dont see how going over the old roof will change that problem.
If you want to cover your butt, then tell him it needs to be tore off and ice and water shield applied.
If he doesnt want to tear off then get him to sign off on it and take responsability for his decision. Or dont do the job.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As far as i know he has no leaks he just told me the ice gets a foot thick on the edges. So i would assume he must have ice guard along the edges and the valleys are sealed well. It just made me real nervous thinking about ice blocking off the valley pan and running down the old shingles. I take it with metal roofs like this theres no way to combat my fears. Would it even be possible to install heat tapes around this on a timer to keep channels open?

Hes hung on this energy star nonsense most of the reason he wants to go this way, maybe i'll try and talk him into a energy star asphalt and a tear off.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah screw it i called him today told him his ice problems have me concerned and im not comfortable that the product wont give him issues in the long run. Either he didnt understand or thought i was BS'n him because he said he'd find someone that would do it. So be it theres a million guys that'll slap something on and not worry about if it works or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts