Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honest, Reliable helper on call.

Need a smart hard worker once in a while but not enough to hire an employee?
I am your man!
I have my own transportation.
I have basic hand tools.
I know how to do a multitude of things and am available Mon-Sat.
I have experience in electrical / plumbing / Tile / painting / carpentry / Electric signs.
I have operated cranes / backhoe / buckets / trencher / auger.
I will do the tasks that are hard manual labor.
I am drug free.
I am located 16 St. Bell Rd. area but will drive to S. Phx. for a day's work.
My charges are: $100.00 Per. 8 hours. $15.00 Per any hours over 8.
Terms are cash paid daily unless agreement is made prior to the beginning of the day.
I have referances and photo's of work done!
Contact me with any questions or to schedule my help.
Phone calls are taken from: 4:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
"Terms are cash paid daily unless agreement is made prior to the beginning of the day."

So, it sounds like you're either an unlicensed subcontractor (illegal in the State of Arizona), or more likely just looking to avoid paying taxes on your "cash" payment (illegal in the USA).

Just the kind of advertisement we need around here.......

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob Kovacs said:
"Terms are cash paid daily unless agreement is made prior to the beginning of the day."

So, it sounds like you're either an unlicensed subcontractor (illegal in the State of Arizona), or more likely just looking to avoid paying taxes on your "cash" payment (illegal in the USA).

Just the kind of advertisement we need around here.......

Bob
What I am is great help who can pick and choose who I work for and when. How I handle my taxes is really not your business Bob. But thanks for reading! :D

Scott

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not to start a big arguement here, but actually, how you handle your taxes DOES become the business of those who choose to employ you. If you're not a licensed subcontractor, and I'm not 1099'ing you for the money I "pay" you, I can end up being responsible for the monies that you don't pay for taxes, as well as the employer's contributions that I didn't pay on the money I gave you. Not to mention the mess if, God forbid, you're injured while working on my jobsite.

The problem here isn't you, Scott- it's the contractors who choose to employ you. By skirting the law and paying you "cash", they make it difficult for legitimate contractors who pay taxes on their employees (and yes, you are technically an "employee"- though you may choose to think of yourself otherwise), carry insurance, and are generally above-board.

But, like all things in life, there are those who will do things the "right" way, and those who will play games. Eventually they'll get caught.

Ohh, and BTW- "great help" gets paid more than $12.50/hour- even in Phoenix. $12.50/hour is "great" for working at Home Depot- not for working in the construction field with all of the skills you purport to have.

Bob

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Here in the great state of MO, no taxes need to be paid on anyone making less than $600 a quarter. I hire guys like this ocassionally for big paint jobs, or commercial gigs. Its not illegal, and an accepted practice around here.

Lighten up Bob, the guy just wants to work hard and make some $$$.

Good luck Scott, you sound like a motivated hard worker. Hope you find a gig close by.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
PWG-

If someone's not earning more than $600/quarter, they shouldn't have any taxes to pay. However, if you're paying Scott $600/quarter, and I'm paying him $600/quarter, and Joe Blow is, and so on, and so on, and he doesn't have to pay taxes on it, doesn't that seem like a problem to you?

I'm not trying to give Scott a hard time specifically- this is just a subject that aggravates me to no end. How many times have you heard contractors whine about how little respect they get? That they're not seen as "professionals"? That they can't compete against the "competition" that doesn't pay taxes, doesn't carry insurance, etc?

Obviously, I'm not the moderator around here, but if you're trying to create a forum for contracting "professionals" (I'm assuming you are, since the word shows up in your tag line), there should be some adherance to "professional" practices, no?

Bob

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Bob, I completely agree about the 'right way' to do things. I too preach about it because it effects all of us. My workmans comp bill is comparable to a second mortgage. But I read ScottB's post above and took it as a college kid looking to labor for extra cash. I didn't take it as a sub looking to skirt the laws. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. I just liked his style by being eager and motivated, which you don't see much of anymore.

BTW, ScottB said:
What I am is great help who can pick and choose who I work for and when.
which I am doubtful about. If I was that good, and could pick/choose my work, I wouldn't need to hit the web looking for it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'll agree with that- if you're that good, you wouldn't be hitting the web looking for work, and you wouldn't be working for $12.50/hour either. I've worked in Las Vegas and Phoenix, and I can tell you that a decent, reliable tradesman with transportation is easily making at least $20/hour.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob Kovacs said:
PWG-

If someone's not earning more than $600/quarter, they shouldn't have any taxes to pay. However, if you're paying Scott $600/quarter, and I'm paying him $600/quarter, and Joe Blow is, and so on, and so on, and he doesn't have to pay taxes on it, doesn't that seem like a problem to you?

I'm not trying to give Scott a hard time specifically- this is just a subject that aggravates me to no end. How many times have you heard contractors whine about how little respect they get? That they're not seen as "professionals"? That they can't compete against the "competition" that doesn't pay taxes, doesn't carry insurance, etc?

Obviously, I'm not the moderator around here, but if you're trying to create a forum for contracting "professionals" (I'm assuming you are, since the word shows up in your tag line), there should be some adherance to "professional" practices, no?

Bob
Bob

First off, just to end this. I do pay my taxes. Let me educate you on AZ. law. Under the (handyman) title I don't have to have a contractor’s license as long as the jobs I do don't exceed $750.00. Now! I can do as many jobs as I want at 1 location just as long as no one bill exceeds $750.00. Now let’s get to the taxes issue you brought up. Illegal employment in AZ. does not exist. It’s a right to work state by law. You should see our Home Depot parking lots at 5 AM. They are filled with Mexicans that are trying to flag down every contractor and U-haul the drives by. This is the issue here in AZ and across the US. that we all just set back and ignore. And yes... The contractors here use this labor. They work for 6-7 bucks an hour and less. This situation has made it tough to earn a decent wage here in AZ.. Now lets get to a point that has yet to be brought up. YOU as an employer. Do you offer your guys benefits? Health insurance? Vacations? If so then that’s great. Your guys are lucky. Most offer 4 paid days off a year and call that benefits. I pay into Fed income tax and state. I pay into social security even though I don't feel very secure with the investment. I don't pay into workman’s Comp. I don't have to! And we all know that if you need worker Comp. you better hire an attorney. You will need one. So, now all my gas receipts are deductions. My 3Rd. bed room is a deduction. Meals are a deduction. My internet access is a deduction. My new PC is a deduction. That new in bed liner and tool box is a deduction. ..... Need I go on? And guess what!? Here is the part I like so well. I have 2 electrical contractors that use my help. 1 HVAC contractor. 1 Plumbing contractor and 2 Broker that buy houses to fix and flip. I don't wait 1-2 weeks to get paid. If I feel that there is a personality conflict with someone I am working with I can just make myself to busy to help them out on the next job. And I continue to gain a wealth of experience in all of the trades that I choose the work in.

Now I do understand your frustration with people bidding against you for work, and they don't have the same burden of expenses that you do. But then again these people won’t be able to work on jobs that require all ducks be in a row right down to liability Ins. I'm not bidding against you Bob. Shucks..... I'm not even close to NJ!

Have a great day!
Scott

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
well you know what they say...two things are certain in life, death and taxes.
Even if somebody hires under these circumstances, Uncle Sam is still collecting his cut, read on.
Let's say Contractor X hires this guy to help him for the day on a $1000 job. He pays this guy $100 in cash and the homeowner writes out the check to X for $1000. X has to claim that full $1000 as income to his business even though he only made $900 after paying this guy. X is paying the taxes, and X is probably in a higher tax bracket than our hired helper. As far as insurance goes, there is a minimal workers comp coverage out there I have used for this circumstance. If I hire somebody for the day and they get injured they are covered even though they aren't a "full time" regular employee of mine.
I tend to agree with ProwallGuy, but only somebody that actually meets and talks to this guy knows his true motivation. Personally I've had it with all the do nothing lazy punks out there who won't even get off their a** and attempt to work at a trade. Yeah, I'm on the soap box, but I have been working at jobs since I was 12 (now 47) and have always hustled my way to earn $$. I like somebody who shows initiative.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I can kinda' see it from both sides, - - but I'll just say this about that, - - I never heard of anyone who pays their taxes say "I work for cash only"!!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I agree with Tom...cash that does get reported? I doubt it. I know the risk of injury keeps me from using any arranged labor like this...what if I hired a guy like this, and he stepped off a ladder and broke his back. Well now....whre would my liability end? At the poorhouse?

If I pay "contract labor" then they have their own certificate of insurance, and I pay by invoice so I have proof they are their own entity. If not, the day I hire, the paperwork goes in with the deductions and employee signature in place....if not, they ain't working for me.

·
4,617 Posts
joasis said:
I agree with Tom...cash that does get reported? I doubt it. I know the risk of injury keeps me from using any arranged labor like this...what if I hired a guy like this, and he stepped off a ladder and broke his back. Well now....whre would my liability end? At the poorhouse?

If I pay "contract labor" then they have their own certificate of insurance, and I pay by invoice so I have proof they are their own entity. If not, the day I hire, the paperwork goes in with the deductions and employee signature in place....if not, they ain't working for me.
Amen and amen.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Bob Kovacs said:
Well, sounds like you've got it all figured out then Scott- best of luck to you.

Bob
Actually it sounds like he has it pretty twisted up from his description of his beliefs in what a right to work state means.

Regardless I hope ole ScottB found a job since this post is almost 1 year old now. Maybe one of those illegals made it to the next level and is hiring his own kind now.:laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts