Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, My Makita 18v cordless drill is from 08 and on its way out. I'm gonna need to replace it soon, I picked up the cxs a few months ago and am in love with it, I use it a ton. I love the c style drills.

But I also need a drill that can drive 3" screws all day on speed 2 and heavier stuff like that. I hate using my impact inside, its just too noisy.

I really didn't find too many videos or info on the c15. So for you that have one. How is it? Is the power comparable to the Makita 18v li ion?

I know those drills have the protection feature, how is that? I don't want that thing kicking on all the time.

I guess I should also add, I looked up the torch specs and the c15 is lower than my Makita I have now, but its not the brushless Makita though.

If I don't get the c15 I am probly going with the new dewalt brushless compact.

Thanks, Dave

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm really happy with the DeWalt brushless....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I too have the cxs and love it!

I know it's not the same but I got the ti-15 and hated it. The impact was slower than the makitas and the chuck was worthless. It took nothing to stop it. Again I know it's not the same tool so I would hope it the actual real drill did much better.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I too have the cxs and love it!

I know it's not the same but I got the ti-15 and hated it. The impact was slower than the makitas and the chuck was worthless. It took nothing to stop it. Again I know it's not the same tool so I would hope it the actual real drill did much better.
The Ti-15 was a fvckin turkey.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I've been using the T-15 for about 4 years. Not sure if the T15 or CSX is the best drill I've ever owned.

They really did miss with the Ti-15.

Tom

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Inner, I know, it looks like a sweet drill! I have the dewalt 20v right angle drill and it is a beast. I figure the regular brushless would be even better.

tjbnwi, So lets say I wanted to drill a couple 2 1/8" hole saw holes with the c15 or even a 4" holesaw once in a blue moon. Is the c15 going to be beeping at me the whole time? Do you think that's doable on speed 2? Or if I'm framing some small walls using 3" deck screws without predrilling?

I wish somebody around here stocked it so I could give it a try. Because even though I know they have that 30 day policy I won't return it, I will just buy the dewalt too:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I've turned a 6" carbide tip hole saw with my T-15 through a 1.5" rim board. Low speed, high torque setting.

The right angle attachment is why I bought the T-15, the only 90° I have stronger is my Hole Hawg.

Tom

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Thanks guys,

Inner, I know, it looks like a sweet drill! I have the dewalt 20v right angle drill and it is a beast. I figure the regular brushless would be even better.

tjbnwi, So lets say I wanted to drill a couple 2 1/8" hole saw holes with the c15 or even a 4" holesaw once in a blue moon. Is the c15 going to be beeping at me the whole time? Do you think that's doable on speed 2? Or if I'm framing some small walls using 3" deck screws without predrilling?

I wish somebody around here stocked it so I could give it a try. Because even though I know they have that 30 day policy I won't return it, I will just buy the dewalt too:laughing:

Dave
Did you try Saw Sales?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've turned a 6" carbide tip hole saw with my T-15 through a 1.5" rim board. Low speed, high torque setting.

The right angle attachment is why I bought the T-15, the only 90° I have stronger is my Hole Hawg.

Tom

Well that sounds pretty good, I know my Makita really struggles with a four inch holesaw, but its doable.

Hey J.C. , Yup I tried all the usual festool distributers, I'm actually working right up route 8 from there right now. I think that's a bad thing, I've made a few stops at saw sales:whistling:laughing: The only place I didn't check yet is Allegheny millwork in the south side. I just hate having to go through the city to get there!

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
I came so close to buying a c15 but the grip just wasn't great and i too am an enormous fan of my cxs. I am going to go with the t18, some day, just got a ct, sander, ts55 on the way with some rails. those darn systainers are like rabbits, they just multiply.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey J.C. , Yup I tried all the usual festool distributers, I'm actually working right up route 8 from there right now. I think that's a bad thing, I've made a few stops at saw sales:whistling:laughing: The only place I didn't check yet is Allegheny millwork in the south side. I just hate having to go through the city to get there!

Dave
Saw Sales is a good place. I think I might be having them bring me out a domino in the near future. :laughing: I'm not a big fan of Allegheny Millwork.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Unless you benefit from the right angle or offset chuck the Festool cordless drills really don't offer any significant advantage for the price. As far as I'm concerned cordless drills are disposable and I have no problem replacing $300 kits every few years.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Saw Sales is a good place. I think I might be having them bring me out a domino in the near future. :laughing: I'm not a big fan of Allegheny Millwork.
Yes they are! Every time I'm in there the guys are great to deal with. I don't own one, but those dominos do look sweet!

I have to agree with you, I haven't been to Allegheny millwork in a while. The last time I was there I was trying to order some trex railing parts and one of the sales guys had a real attitude so I just said forget it.

Dave

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've had the dewalt 20v stuff for a while(not the brushless). I've been really happy with it. I use the drill to bore locksets all the time and have had no issues. I've ran a 4 inch hole saw through two layers of 3/4 plywood a couple times with no problems either. The 1.5 ah batteries can drain a little quick if you're using them all day, but other than that, it's been fine.

I'm always surprised to hear when people don't like Allegheny Millwork. They have always given me great service and have been extremely friendly. Maybe thats because I was used to getting glared at like I just slapped someone's mother at Paul's.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just ordered the c15 I figure worst case scenario I will send it beck before 30 days. Its cold and snowy here so I have nothing else to do besides shop on the internet all day:laughing:

I'm always surprised to hear when people don't like Allegheny Millwork. They have always given me great service and have been extremely friendly. Maybe thats because I was used to getting glared at like I just slapped someone's mother at Paul's.

Hey aaron, I guess I shouldn't say I don't like them. I guess there is good and bad everywhere you go:laughing: I did special order some clear cedar for some railings not too long ago, I delt with Paul I think it was, the guy with the Irish or Scottish accent. Very good guy to deal with, really on top of things!

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts