Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Windwash
595 Posts
RhodesHardwood said:
I have been checking out the new dodge vans and am thinking about selling off a couple vans and getting a couple of the brand new Inline 4cyl diesel dodge vans.. Wondering if anyone has picked one of these up yet and what they might think of it?
I'm curious as well. Last week I clicked on the banner link for the Dodge vans and went through the build a van to your specs deal. It gives you a retail price for the options and you can apply for an actual quote from local dealers. They sent me rough prices for Dodge 2500 pickup trucks, not the van I had speced out. Nice site but a disconnect to the dealers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nobody has one. haven't seen any around town.

I think they start at 30k. The nissan nv low top is like 25.
Ya I think they are around 30. But with that diesel engine they will get great gas mileage and run forever.. Thats what Im liking about them.. Ive only seen one on the roads around here and I drive around all day everyday for work..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious as well. Last week I clicked on the banner link for the Dodge vans and went through the build a van to your specs deal. It gives you a retail price for the options and you can apply for an actual quote from local dealers. They sent me rough prices for Dodge 2500 pickup trucks, not the van I had speced out. Nice site but a disconnect to the dealers.
I think I first saw these in probably the same banner that you seen.. In fact I think it was on this site..

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I think the diesel thing is a loser. It costs 20% more per gallon. And you pay 20% more for the vehicle. I had a customer who ran the #'s for his dodge truck gas v. diesel and he said it would take 200000 miles to reach break even.

That would take me about fifteen years. I don't drive as much as many but who knows where we will be in fifteen years. The bet is too far away for my taste. I'd much rather have the cash in my pocket not incurring interest charges and hopefully garnering a return.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Metro M & L said:
I think the diesel thing is a loser. It costs 20% more per gallon. And you pay 20% more for the vehicle. I had a customer who ran the #'s for his dodge truck gas v. diesel and he said it would take 200000 miles to reach break even. That would take me about fifteen years. I don't drive as much as many but who knows where we will be in fifteen years. The bet is too far away for my taste. I'd much rather have the cash in my pocket not incurring interest charges and hopefully garnering a return.
no offense but diesel just makes sense if you carry any kind of weight or do a lot of travel, I didn't run the numbers when I bought my sprinter in 05 but when diesel hit $5 a gallon in 08 it was still a winning combination over a gas van. In fact even today in a 05 sprinter packet with tools and materials I still average 18-20 mpg all day long and for a $85 fill up I can do 450 on a tank easy, if I lighten it up and take out the stuff that's not everyday 480 on a tank.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think the diesel version is out yet, only gas now. I still haven't done a test drive with one yet. Kind of waiting to see what ford comes out with.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Metro M & L said:
I think the diesel thing is a loser. It costs 20% more per gallon. And you pay 20% more for the vehicle. I had a customer who ran the #'s for his dodge truck gas v. diesel and he said it would take 200000 miles to reach break even. That would take me about fifteen years. I don't drive as much as many but who knows where we will be in fifteen years. The bet is too far away for my taste. I'd much rather have the cash in my pocket not incurring interest charges and hopefully garnering a return.

Diesel is cheaper

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
ArtisanRemod said:
Diesels are great when they're under warranty, and if you live at altitude.
It's really all in how it's driven and maintained, if your a owner/ operator then you treat your stuff right, but if you have a crew that just doesn't care they jump in the trucks don't let them warm up, never check the tires, or filters, the basics then you get banged when you take it in for service, just as you would get banged in a gasser!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts