Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was looking into a kargomaster proII under cap mount ladder rack for my truck. How are they? Are they really as strong and solid as they say? Also what about rust how quick is this thing gonna start rusting? Kargomaster claims they have a state of the art zinc coating under the paint, but I know its steel and will get very scratched sliding loads on it.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I seen a lot of contractors latly coating more and more stuff in line-x from trucks beds, Bed boxes, Roof racks and so on. I even heard that some people are using it on decks and around pools! The stuff is dam strong and will make what ever your getting last a very long time. Might be worth getting it coated with that. The paint coating they say they have never last long. It's micron thin and dont work anywhere near as well as they say. If you scratch the paint it will more than likely remove the rust prevention.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Kargomaster makes very good racks. They are one of the best rack makers around. If you look at Leer and A.R.E., they make their shells/tops compatible with Kargomaster products.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info!

BC, I'm gonna give the local bedlining place a call and see what they can do, thats a good idea!

Slow, Thats what I hear, I'm am deffinetly almost set on the kargomaster/are dcu cap combo:thumbup:. I was just mostly worried about the rust.

Dave

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jon
Thats what I'm worried about, around here they dump so much salt on the roads I am thinking its gonna kill it!

Dave

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is always a cheap resolution to that, rustloeum spray paint. The racks hold up well. There are some alum racks such as system one, they are great too but last I saw a contractor having his alum sawed off in the middle of the night by scrap metal scavengers.... :laughing:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slow, God those guys will steal anything!:laughing:
I was acctually looking at the system one rack, that is my first choice. The crappy part is they de-rate the rack to 400lbs-600lbs capacity when its used with the under cap mount and the legs are so wide they will block the doors on the sides of the are cap.

Dave

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
i have one it started rusting day one after I put my first ladder on it. You can have an autobody shop powder coat it. Out in my area there is a local fabricator who makes racks out of square tube that come with a true powder coat for the same cost as a kargomaster. Wish I would have gone that route. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Metro, yup thats what I keep thinking about, the first thing I slide on the rack is gonna scratch the crap out of it. I have been looking around locally and nobody will build an aluminum rack around here!

I found this site, I am really considering a rack from these guys. They are in North Carolina, but they ship to PA. They look pretty sweet in my opinion and rust free!
http://www.ryderracks.com/ryderracks.php

Dave

·
Registered
618 Posts
Slow, God those guys will steal anything!:laughing:
I was acctually looking at the system one rack, that is my first choice. The crappy part is they de-rate the rack to 400lbs-600lbs capacity when its used with the under cap mount and the legs are so wide they will block the doors on the sides of the are cap.

Dave
How much the DCU costing you? I had a 6.5' DCU before on a F150 screw. One of my trucks has the F250 dcu..nice but pricey.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much the DCU costing you? I had a 6.5' DCU before on a F150 screw. One of my trucks has the F250 dcu..nice but pricey.
Hey slow, the DCU is right around $1993.00 I acctually priced a reading aluminum cap wow! that was around $5200.00! I said no thankyou:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
618 Posts
You got a good deal... Capworld?? What kind of body/truck you going for? I paid about $3500 for the F250 screw 8 ft DCU and Kargomaster installed. I am thinking of going to a alum utility body with panel cover on the F250.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got a good deal... Capworld?? What kind of body/truck you going for? I paid about $3500 for the F250 screw 8 ft DCU and Kargomaster installed. I am thinking of going to a alum utility body with panel cover on the F250.
I am ordering the cap tomorrow. Its acctually a little place about 30 miles from me. My dad got two caps from them and a bunch of people around here went there too, very good service. Its just a regular pickup F250 8' bed. Now that price is just for the cap and installation, the kargo master rack is an additional 900 bucks. I'm just gonna order the cap, and then have a aluminum rack made by that company I linked.

Those aluminum bodies are very nice looking, I acctually looked at them while I was shopping for trucks. I'd say go for it:thumbup: I don't know about cali but around here the steel ones don't last long because of all the road salt they spread.

Dave

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, at roughly 15k....not sure if I want to spend that much as it's almost half the cost of a new truck just for a chassis..think I will stick to my high top DCU instead.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My dad had a Kargomaster on his '94 Chevy, when he sold the truck I took it off and put it on my Dodge. It is a very nice, strong rack that rusts. Sand it down and repaint it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slow, Holy crap! I had no idea they were quite that much:eek: I'd stay with the cap too. On the DCU caps I know the side toolboxes are around 12" deep at the bottom, you wouldn't happen to know what the depth of the tool box is at the top of the door opening would ya? Or maybe if you were near your truck you could measure it for me:laughing:

davitk, I'm lazy though, I hate matinence:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just scored a KargoMaster ProII for $60.00 off of a cash for clunkers vehicle. Even has the ratchet tie down options. Having some mods done to it and figure 3 cans of rustoleum spray and I should be set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts