Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am surprised as hard as we work there are so many tradesmen out of shape including yours truly.

As of this new year I have decided

1. to never to eat again unless I am hungry
2. never eat after 8 pm

That has resulted in feeling better almost immediately. I have also lost about 5 pounds in the first half of January without suffering.

I was eating whenever I wanted to which resulted in an extra 50 pounds (45 now) before finally getting sick of feeling lousy.

I figured with all the physical exertion, I would be in top shape but it doesn't work if I eat like a fool.

Does anyone have a other good rules for staying fit instead of eating like a vacuum cleaner?

I don't smoke ever and drink on occassion.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. And a lot to do with your metabolism. I do crossfit 3-4 times a week. I've never felt better. If your considering a gym membership, focus less on bench pressing 500lb and do more metabolic conditioning. Search it online. Get into it slowly. Too many people make a resolution to loss weight and work out. Go into it 110% and within first month quit. Make it part of your schedule, not just if I have time. You'd be surprised how easy it is to do when you approach it like that. And remember, don't focus on pounds lost...... It's more important on how you feel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't smoke or drink and run anywhere from 10 to 20 miles a week depending on how much time I have.

I do cardio 5 x per week as well as hit the weights and diet.
No matter how busy we are, we can always find the time to take care of ourselves. Also, how the hell can you be happy with a gut, especially taking your shirt iff on the beach.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I stay pretty into it. My wife and I head to the gym together 5-6 days a week. An hour-hour and a half weights first, then 30-60 min of cardio. (skip the running on leg days, lol) and now average 10-15 miles a week. Back when we first started, to keep from hoarding the fridge, Id drink a glass off water real quick, just to fill my gut a bit. It would help me get through to the next meal time. now I eat smaller portions, but 5-6 meals a day. 6', 220lbs. I could start cutting again, but i like the extra weight. feel better and happy being able to eat what I like. HATED counting macros every day!!!

with the right mind set, and making it part of your daily routine...it becomes normal and easier to stick with. crazy how packed the gym gets in January, crazier how many people give up by march...:(

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. And a lot to do with your metabolism. I do crossfit 3-4 times a week. I've never felt better. If your considering a gym membership, focus less on bench pressing 500lb and do more metabolic conditioning. Search it online. Get into it slowly. Too many people make a resolution to loss weight and work out. Go into it 110% and within first month quit. Make it part of your schedule, not just if I have time. You'd be surprised how easy it is to do when you approach it like that. And remember, don't focus on pounds lost...... It's more important on how you feel.
Not sure what metabolic conditioning is, but I do agree on the weights.

I've always done 5x5 workouts, increasing in weight with each set, the last rep should be almost impossible to get up.

I switched to 3x15 workouts, and fast paced cardio. I just do it twice a week, legs one day and upper body the next. 2 hour workouts.

Big difference on the joints and what not.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Metabolic conditioning is basically high intensity work out where you may be doing a set of lifts (in crossfit it would Olympic style lifts) then a cardio set. If you go to crossfit.com they post the workout of day. For example I was working out with some newbies and we did 5 rounds for time of:
Run 400m (1/4 mile)
12) dead lifts (you decide weight)

You do the workout as quickly as you can. There's no machines in our gym. Everyday is a full body workout.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
I can't imagine someone who builds pole barns all the time could get out of shape. That is about as physical as it gets. I am too dang exhausted at the end of most days to even think about a workout. My weight has crept up a bit in the last ten years, but I started out incredibly thin, so the extra weight brings me into the "normal" range. 6' 1" 180 pounds.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pack your lunch.....don't eat out.

Never ever run unless you're being chased....it's unnatural .

Every once and a while let your help do the detail stuff and you hump the garbage or load in materials.

Drink when you want.......no sense being miserable.

Just a few pearls of wisdom on a Saturday night.

_________
Mike

·
GC/carpenter
43,887 Posts
I'm naturally tightly wound so I can burn calories in my sleep. I have to be careful not to lose too much weight. I try to stay on a high calorie diet. I'm about 155 lbs. Right now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Between doing pretty much every aspect of carpentry/construction, powerlifting, a bit of cardio, hunting, fishing, camping and wrenching I stay pretty fit. I eat a ton but I keep it very natural and unprocessed. I also don't drink or smoke. My biggest problem with my weight is not being able to get over 200lbs. I figure I need to average 5-6k calories a day to get to and sustain that size, my body seems to prefer being around 190.

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
Before three kids I would run. Did a half marathon and plenty of 5 and 10k's. Could eat and drink whatever I wanted. Now the time is non-existent. I do pack lunches and that helps tons. Also we don't eat out very often. I could lose 10-15 pounds but I feel good at 6' and 205.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,998 Posts
One thing even though a lot of us work hard every day that is just our normal and not exersize or at least that is what my doctor keeps telling me.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I'm naturally tightly wound so I can burn calories in my sleep. I have to be careful not to lose too much weight. I try to stay on a high calorie diet. I'm about 155 lbs. Right now.
Same here. Was on some medications a while back and was up to 195 from 145 in a couple months. Got off those last March and have been back down to 155 since June. I also had that furniture ,moving job during that period and figure I was burning something like 4000 calories a day while only eating about 1200.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts