Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out an economical and smart way to get my footers installed for an upcoming project.
the details:
-28x40 structure.
-garage is actually a daylight basement (1 side) with 3-sides covered earth
-house will be above garage/basement
-I will dig down 6' to basement floor, then install 10" deep footer forms for the 3 sides above grade.
-I need help with the 4th side where the garage doors will be....

The side where the garage doors will be obviously need to be below the frost line, and that said (about 36")... I can only think to dig a 22" wide trench (the width of the footers) x 36" deep and fill her up with concrete.... I priced doing just the bottom 10" in concrete (no forms on that side) and then finishing the height with block, and it really does not save any money.

Any thoughts? Should I just make a very thick buried stem wall on that side up to grade (to match the other 3-sides finished footer heights?

If you have done a garage/basement like this before, you may have some pics of what you ended up doing?

thanks!

·
Contractor
7,728 Posts
Usually we run the strip footing on through and let the mason run block across the openings, then slab on top of wall.

Sometimes we will omit the footing along the openings and when slab time comes we will form the front of the slab and then dig out by hand the required depth for frost protection.

I would imagine the second scenario would be less expensive in the long haul, but I personally think the first method is better.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
You don't have any guidence from the building code guys?

Everytime i read these kind of posts, I thank God I am in an area where we call the frost line 12 inches, or for all intents and purposes, we don't have a frost line. It is always about engineering here and proving it to the inspector.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OK I reread the OP 4 times and now think I understand what you are doing...

I would still do what ever my plans said to do because that what the inspectors are going to be looking for.

·
Banned
397 Posts
OK I reread the OP 4 times and now think I understand what you are doing...

I would still do what ever my plans said to do because that what the inspectors are going to be looking for.
^^This is your answer^^^

the permit office will require structural drawings, so it doesn't matter what you want to do or not do. you are required to build in accordance to your structural drawings

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just read all your previous posts and I see they are just about all about this project.

Do you even have plans, as I see you haven't decided how you are going to build it or have changed how you are going to build it?

If you had plans and engineering, you would know how the foundation is built, how the floor joists are attached, etc. etc. All previous questions you have asked, and you asked this same question a month ago.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What type of material is the garage slab in? If it's NFS just insulate and pour on grade with a standard thickened edge to support a two story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts