Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kicking around the idea of adding a bench grinder in my tool trailer. Its probably not something that I would use a lot but it is one of those tools that are indispensable when you need it.

I just finished up some remodel work where the homeowner insisted on reusing a whole pile of rusty hardware. After launching stuff across the driveway trying to clean it up with a wire cup wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder I got to thinking that a bench grinder on site would have made this about 100 times easier.

Of course tool trailers are by default cramped already and I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the space that it would take to mount one. So for those of you that have a grinder mounted in your trailers, how often do you actually use it?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
I wouldn't waste the space on it. My angle grinder works fine for miscellaneous sharpening and rust removal; in a situation like you describe, it would be more appropriate to haul the pile of scrap back to the shop for cleanup.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I have one mounted on the workbench in my trailer, but I used my trailer to transport late model stock cars.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,119 Posts
Mount it on a plywood base with real rubber feet and you can store it and use it as needed.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
I just finished up some remodel work where the homeowner insisted on reusing a whole pile of rusty hardware. After launching stuff across the driveway trying to clean it up with a wire cup wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder I got to thinking that a bench grinder on site would have made this about 100 times easier.
I use vinegar and a ziplock bag to get most of the rust off - a lot less time, since I can be doing something else while it soaks.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
its good stuff. Evaporust, and its reusable until its saturated. Thats one way. THe other way is just to get a tumbler and load it with material. Crushed walnut. I use it anyways for reloading. Cheap tumblers can be had for not much money, probably saved you a few hours of labor (and bleeding fingers).

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Got one, mounted on bench in trailer, rarely used it, always in the way. Moved it to inside a cabinet and can clamp it to bench if needed. Have never used it, LOL. Just cant take it out "just in case".

Wouldn't do again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts