Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask is because of a technique I encountered where I'm sure they thought they were clever.

Recently, one of my clients suddenly began getting an extremely excessive amount of form spam. I'm sure everyone here with a web site knows how annoying bogus form submissions on your site are. It actually turned out to be a blessing because the measures I took to slam the door in the spammer's faces have been implemented on other client sites to bring spam levels down to near zero.

As part of the project I continue to monitor the spam submissions which is how I identified something I figure they are probably using on a lot of other contractors. It's not too hard to see through the scam, but this will help you if you get any unwanted phone calls.

A while back there was a form submission on my client's site claiming to be a homeowner who hired them and recognized one of the workers as being a criminal. The feigned outrage as to how they could let this happen. It wasn't too hard to tell the message was completely bogus but it had the potential to fool you if you didn't pay close attention to the details. I told my client not to be surprised if they got hit up in the near future by a background check company.

By now, I'm sure you know where this is going. Today, it happened. Sure enough, they contacted my client with a conveniently timed offer. Ooooo, aren't they just soooo smart?

I guess someone should do a background check on this company. :laughing:

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's wrong with employing ex-cons?
I can't quite tell if you're being serious or not. It's really not an intended part of the discussion but I'll answer the question anyway just because it's asked.

It really depends on a number of variables but as a whole, I'd say the answer is nothing. Someone who has paid their debt to society and is seriously trying to make an honest living deserves a chance. One thing that drives people back to crime is when no one gives them that chance. Being prudent is advisable, but a criminal record alone shouldn't stand in the way except where the responsibilities of the job conflict with the crime they committed.

For many contractors, they would be able to hire ex cons for certain positions without any significant concerns. Doing so could even save taxpayers from footing the bill for their incarceration should they resort back to crime.

Now the real subject here is whether this background check company should have the people running it listed as criminals. It's tempting to name names with this scam. I went back and checked the source of both messages submitted. Not surprisingly, they both came from the same IP which means they weren't even savvy enough to cover their tracks by using different computers to create the illusion of coming from two different sources. If they were to end up in court, these boneheads would easily get what they deserve.

Can I change my answer? In their case, I'd say when they get out the only job suitable for them is a greeter at Walmart. They're too incompetent to be doing construction. :eek:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
In tennessee, anyone can pay a small fee and get a TBI background check on any employee or potential employee. In fact for a lot of the work we do (especially schools) we have to provide background checks before an employee can be allowed on site. It's simple and you don't need a third party to help you do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts