Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quoting an A-frame house that sits back in a wooded area and it has a nasty buildup of old BEHR #92 coating on it (according to homeowner). The areas that are exposed to weather are thinly coated at best - some areas are just plain bare. Other areas that are more protected, like up under the soffits, are really thick (10 - 12mil maybe?) finish that is turned dark and even black. Some of the black is mold I'm sure.

I am looking to put the SIKKENS Log and Siding 2 coat system on it but the existing finish must be abated. The task at hand: I need to determine what method I will use to strip this existing finish off. A fellow contractor suggested using the PEEL AWAY product that will remove 12 - 15 coats in one application - but is fairly labor intensive what with troweling that paste over an entire side of vertical RW siding! Essentially what needs to happen is the nasty finish must be removed down to the point that the wood is absorbent again for maximum penetration of new coating.

The windows will need to be masked to protect the glass as well as the frames. Anyone with knowledge please chime in as I am looking for the 'right' product! Thanks for your help.

Dale

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Going to have to strip it for sure. Mechanical stripping is good but time consuming, its also safer if they have lots of landscaping around the home.

I would try several things Gemini Coatings "Solid Strip" $18/gal covers around 200' or so

Biowash's Strip-XL ( purple bucket ) similar to solid strip and carried at more stores.

If that doesent work, try cob-blasting ( you may have to locate someone to do this )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts