Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a Dining Room ceiling with the stuff. http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/our-papers/style/heritage/item/derby?category_id=12. 12 x 16 ceiling dimensions.. Looks nice when painted, but what a PITA to hang on a ceiling. 3.5 inch repeat small squares and circles in the pattern. I put it up the 16 foot direction simply because there would be less waste that way. Lots of light coming the 2 large windows made everything more prominent looking. Had to follow the directions for soaking time (10-12 minutes for full stretch) and brush very carefully to avoid over flattening the raised pattern. No seam roller either. Just a light tap on each seam with the butt of the bristles on the smoothing brush. I should have taken pics of it, but forgot. Very satisfying results but a difficult process to get there.:eek:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I havent used clay paste in years. Good stuff but always had trouble with surface staining from the dark color of the paste. I use Roman Adhesives Pro 880 clear ready mixed. Works well for everything. If you read the instructions for the Anaglypta, I think they recommend a clear ready mix adhesive. Just be careful how firm you brush the stuff down. If you brush too much or too hard it will flatten out the raised portion. I had some trouble with one strip on the ceiling I just did..........it was the last strip at the end of day 1. My arms were tired and I rushed the last 5 feet. Got wrinkles that normally could be brushed out with some force.:sad: Thats what I did and it looked good. The next day I hung the last 2 strips and then had to wait a day till that dried to paint the whole ceiling. I got a call from the homeowner that night and they said that the one strip looked smoother than the others. The next day went back and looked and sure enough the last 5 feet of that one strip was very flat looking in comparison to the rest of the ceiling. :no: Guess what I did that day? Removed the last 3 strips and hung 3 new ones. Luckily I always over order just in case of troubles, I had just enough to correct my problem..... All was good in the end, with 5 extra hours of work on my part to correct my hasty mistake.;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've only used it on a ceiling that was coffered so that each panel was 20" square or less. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dale,

I hung Anaglypta many years ago but it was only a border.
It sounds like your project was a little challenging to say the least.
I'm not much on hanging wallpaper on ceilings, my arms get to burning
after a while....used to hang ceilings by myself...but no more....I like that extra set of hands to hold and help smooth things in place....:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts