Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a customer ask for a styrofoam 12" c-shaped cove molding. Is that something that might have to be manufactured, or might it actually be available?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I can't tell you how much this stuff sucks, bites, blows and is not very good.

Around here they frequently slather it with a stucco surface. I hate this stuff! It's also exactly a factor that gives contractors a bad name.

I always ask myself one question, "Is this something that you would do for your own home?" It's a work ethic. I'll live under a bridge before I'll deliver an inferior product or service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not talking EIFS, just foam DETAIL (window detail, soffit detail, etc.) I'm thinkin' there is moisture probs in the humid conditions too?? I realize that foam baseboards might be a bad idea, but up where it wouldn't get damaged (ceiling cove)?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had a customer years ago who ordered coved drywall pieces he installed them with drywall screws then you just filled seams and miters with joint compound, but as for foam the only ones I have seen in foam would be the styrene foam I believe is what they call it(Home Depot& Lowes), but those are more like crown or cornice mouldings not a plain cove. I have a catalog from Hyde Park but all their products are Plaster their website is www.hyde-park.com they have some nice pieces but they are pricie.

www.frankawitz.net

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I used some for a Laura Ashley store build out about 12 years ago. Big learning curve for me.
Hard to fasten well, hard to get a good clean cut( I BUILT A HAND SAW MITER BOX FOR IT), I can't say its bad, but I was sure glad when the painters showed up and covered my fillers.

Might be better to work with now.
I did not have a large slider miter box at that time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
seems it was widely used back in the 80' or early 90's around here but I haven't noticed it in years .... thanks for the memory:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
styrofoam molding

Problems?
1.Hard to fasten
2. Easily damaged
3. Burns and melts
4. Shrinks, swells and warps
There are better alternatives in wood, polyurethane foam, even plaster or GRG
Other than that its great stuff ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foam factory Inc in Florida was able to help. For the 12" size though, they have to make it into 2 pieces that will snap together..

foamfactory.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cove Molding

Try The Foam Depot, Inc.

FoamDepot dot com

They can make it for you in whatever quantity you need and scale it to any size you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts