Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
Yep. Ive gotten a few. Last one was today and I quote -

"Hi Steve this is **** my frnd **** recommended u to replce some molding and to install a new flr in my lving rm. My addrs is *** . Id like to knw when you wld be able to come by and give me n estimate"

Estimate is scheduled for this thursday, but I did it via a PHONE CALL. Texting is too common anymore, and the shorthand/abbreviated spelling gets on my nerves... Its fine for a quick message like get milk or for a conversation between friends when you dont have to have a reply INSTANTLY but I do NOT see it as professional. I mean how would it look to TEXT a customer about how much a project will cost and expect an answer the same way? If the customer ASKS to be notified via text thats one thing, but I find myself calling people unless asked to do otherwise... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree Steve. I am always looking for red flags, and I wonder if this is one of them. I don't know if it's sign of laziness or disrespect, or a sign of things to come. My first thought is that it's sort of rude and unprofessional. But who knows. I am meeting with her tomorrow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I get 2-3 a week, and 1 in 5 turns into an actual estimate/job schedule. I've gotten pretty good at calling them back to check their mud, so to speak.
Unfortunately, it's the way of the modern world.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like getting the texts. I don't use the shorthand though. It is not desirable as the initial contact, but not much more uncommon than email? I get a lot of email initial contacts too. My email is linked to my phone so in the end it may get used like texts.

It helps me keep things in writing as when its busy things can be forgotten easily. Mostly the women I deal with text not many of the men. The email is best but I enjoy the texts. Its not uncommon to sell and complete a small project with a couple of my repeat customers without ever seeing or talking to them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
never had one....and if i did i wouldnt answer it.......im almost at a point where i wont respond to emails anymore either....99% of them are BS...homeowners shopping around to 20 plumbers to get as many quotes as possible w/ as little effort as possible

if they want me they can call me

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
If someone gets my number and sends a text message, what makes them so sure that the number goes to a cell phone? Secondly, what makes them so sure that I have texting capability in the first place?

If I answer the text, it sets a precedent for how the client will do business with me.. and many times it can cause problems down the road because they can send a text and for whatever reason I don't get it or it can open the door for additional confusion where they swear up and down that they texted me when they didn't.

·
New York City
289 Posts
I've gotten maybe one or two initial contacts as texts, so it's pretty rare.
But once a contact is established, texting can be a common occurrence. just the way of the world.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't find a problem with this. I actually put Call/Text/E-mail to contact me for a quote, etc. Everyone is different and I think more people find it comfortable to be willing to first initially contact you through text, breaking the ice. I usually will text them back to confirm with them or clarify what they are looking for and if they are interested, I give them a call.

And like Quad Racer says, it keeps stuff in writing. I get them to text me their information and link it to google maps and I'm on the way! Makes it easier I think.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can understand the older generation not liking the changes. Im old fashioned for the most part but if I can avoid 5 or 10 minute conversation due to a 30 second text, I'm on board. I despise talking on the phone for some reason. It seems like it takes too long. The first contact is nice to talk to still though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I prefer my initial contact be by phone. Alows me to screen the customer to be able to tell if its a job even worth looking at. Once we get to planning stages text are great. I can keep record easily of conversations.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I don't respond to text messages, I can communicate much better on a phone and I consider it impersonal, low ball seeker stuff. Same with most emails but not all. If it looks generic like it's sent to multiple contacts I'm not interested. I don't want to drive around for free and try to put the town lowball out of business.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts