Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Well that explains a lot. :)

Where i work many main lines are lead. Over the years a coating has lined the pipes and no lead is detected when tested.
Chicago has a few hundred thousand lead water services that have so far failed to harm anything in the hundred years they've been in use, but I think we should give it another hundred years before we declare them safe.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well that explains a lot. :)

Where i work many main lines are lead. Over the years a coating has lined the pipes and no lead is detected when tested.
I was told that a layer of slime coats the inside of the pipe and they are safe. When I ripped out the old line that was probably 75 years old the inside of the lead service pipe looked clean as a whistle, like the day it was installed. I was also impressed with how incredibly strong lead pipe was, and how many times it could be bent before it broke...but boy is it soft.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Inner10 said:
I was told that a layer of slime coats the inside of the pipe and they are safe. When I ripped out the old line that was probably 75 years old the inside of the lead service pipe looked clean as a whistle, like the day it was installed. I was also impressed with how incredibly strong lead pipe was, and how many times it could be bent before it broke...but boy is it soft.
Lead is actually worth some good money for it's volume

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Chicago has a few hundred thousand lead water services that have so far failed to harm anything in the hundred years they've been in use, but I think we should give it another hundred years before we declare them safe.
Last year my plumber, his uncle ( 83 year old plumber ) and myself were looking a lead bend in the basement ceiling for the toilet up stairs. Were were admiring the workmanship and his uncle was telling me how much work it was to get the joints so smooth.

The customer overhears us talking about the lead pipe and starts to freak out about drinking the water with lead pipes, selling the house etc. etc.

The 83 y.o. lets the lady go on and on for a half hour before telling her its a sewer line.

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
Look at the wall thickness on a piece of lead pipe sometime,thats where the strength comes in.
I used to carry an old piece of 3/4" lead water service pipe about 2' long in my van incase I ever needed to get somebodys attention really quick!:laughing:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts