Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/ATTACH]today's scenario- cast iron toilet flange in 60 yr old concrete in a basement floor. Someone build a 2x4 floor over the concrete and didn't extend the toilet flange that extra 4".

solution- I installed a wax seal, then a hub type toilet flange upside down, fastened with t-bolts through the old flange. Then a fitting type flange inside of the first one.

Presto- new flange 4" above the cast iron one- ready for seal and toilet.

never seen it done before but thought it was kinda clever. Hope it works:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
No, but it will leak between the flange rings.

I see what you're trying to do.

We've done a couple of bathrooms where my plumber used flange repair rings to bring the flange to the floor height.

Caulked the chit out of it and still failed after 5 years.

At the siliconed joint.

Use that flange the way it's meant to be used.

Float mud under the "lifted" flange. ( your 1st pic ).

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Prob not the best way to do it. It may never leak but the issue comes when there's a blockage and there's head pressure on the water. It will squeeze water between any gap and push wax out and cause silicone to passably fail. You really should out cut up around that concrete and out a Fernco on and then put a nice new PVC waste in. More work but vastly less chance of a leak.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thumbsup:

Curious. Why the 2x4 over concrete?
not sure. the floor was built up for some reason. a homeowner special...

As far as leakage, Why would a wax ring leak between 2 flanges any sooner than a wax ring between a flange and a toilet.

no, I didn't use silicone.

·
Registered
819 Posts
if its 4" cast iron they make a collar that fits inside the 4" pipe and you turn some screws and it compresses a rubber gasket on the sides....you may gain a couple of inches that way...your way looks/sounds nice, but i also doubt it lasts

rigging plumbing is never correct long term

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Anthill said:
not sure. the floor was built up for some reason. a homeowner special...

As far as leakage, Why would a wax ring leak between 2 flanges any sooner than a wax ring between a flange and a toilet.

no, I didn't use silicone.
The plumber I use stopped this
Technique a few years back after the extension ring failed in between the two.

Why?

Not sure,

Again, I would not recommend this.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
The next guy that comes along will have a nice, hopefully profitable, job tearing out the entire basement to fix the leak (that WILL happen). Tear that chit out now and fix it right. Jeez...They make things for that application (they're called plumbers :laughing:).

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The next guy that comes along will have a nice, hopefully profitable, job tearing out the entire basement to fix the leak (that WILL happen). Tear that chit out now and fix it right. Jeez...They make things for that application (they're called plumbers :laughing:).
I couldn't agree more.
Regardless of how small the percentage, if there's ANY chance that that "fix" could fail, unfix it. Call a plumber.

If that joint fails, the results will be terrible. The risk far outweighs the reward in this scenario my friend. I applaud your effort. But, I think you need to take some advice here. Otherwise, if what can go wrong, does, you'll be up a creek...

Jon

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
I really hope this is either a joke, his competition trying to smear his name or his account got hacked... Then again, in a couple months or years someone will make a great payday fixing it...

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are all the answers in? Apparently that is NOT the right fix! While I agree that this is not an approved method, I don't really think that ripping out the customer's newly laid tile floor and jackhammering out concrete to do it "right" would have been a very good option either. What bothers me most though, is that most everyone seems to think that this will leak, yet no one can explain why. This is a toilet drain line, it is not pressured. It is only wet when the toilet flushes. If it does leak, how many flushes would it take to do damage in the basement? The repair would not be gut the basement and start over, it would be remove the toilet and it would be just as accessible as it was when I first saw it. Also, why would it leak any sooner than the wax seal 4" above it? Just rambling.... Anyways, do not try this at home.......

1 - 20 of 46 Posts