Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we should have some discussion regarding in home sales for those that engage in that sort of business model;particularly thouse that sell siding,windows,and sun rooms. any stories?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would but can't give away my sekrets. Let me just say I got my ccw this spring and it has helped increase my sales tremendously:thumbup:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
No big secrets, we use a definite process though. Sell yourself first, your company second and the product last.

If they don't like you then you don't have a chance to make the sale at all. Pet the dog (I'll ask if he's been fed first), acknowledge the kids, take of your shoes, ask to sit at the dining room table. Try to find some common ground to break the ice over. Don't forget that the most important input in a conversation is closed lips, open ears.

If they don't trust your company it won't matter if they like you. You started by calling ahead to confirm your appointment, now give them references and proof of insurance, anything else that confirms you are a legitimate business. Talk about your companies track record, the standards you follow, etc. In summary ask them if this is the type of business they would like to do business with.

Now you can get to the product. What you do here depends on what your selling at this meet. Make sure you are doing more listening than talking. Zig Ziglar is a good read for sales presentations.

A very key question that I use is, "How will you know when you've found the right contractor for this project?" Quietly ask yourself if you would qualify, depending on the answer. Your next question(s) will depend on whats said.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sales

do you try for the "one day close"? or do you prefer a 2 or three step process?
i saw a guy last week,definitely liked me. i know he saw about 4 other contractors. i called today and he said he and his wife are "still thinking about it" . I asked when would be a good time to call again and he said 2 WEEKS...any idea's oropinions?

·
Registered
301 Posts
do you try for the "one day close"? or do you prefer a 2 or three step process?
i saw a guy last week,definitely liked me. i know he saw about 4 other contractors. i called today and he said he and his wife are "still thinking about it" . I asked when would be a good time to call again and he said 2 WEEKS...any idea's oropinions?

Ouch..Don't think theres much to be done once you reach that point. I've seen people try alot of sorta sleazy juggling maneuvers to increase their odds of a sale before they get to that though.

Everyone wants the job, and everyone wants to arrange the timing in their favor. Great info from Dave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts